Can you just dip new fish in methylene blue and then put them in your main tank right away?

sally666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just dip new fish in methylene blue and then put them in your main tank right away? Will the methylene blue kill external parasites such as Ich on the fish? And is dipping them in methylene blue almost the same as quarantine in copper?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you just dip new fish in methylene blue and then put them in your main tank right away? Will the methylene blue kill external parasites such as Ich on the fish? And is dipping them in methylene blue almost the same as quarantine in copper?
You can - and what it does depends on what parasite you're talking about - and what protocol you use for your dip. Generally speaking it is not the same as a copper quarantine (or almost the same). I would personally not rely on it.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this but since you asked can you do this, only MB, the answer is yes. You can. It is better than nothing but as with everything there is still risk.

Bob Fenner has a blurb on fresh water dips and baths using Methylene Blue. I would recommend heading over to your favorite search engine and taking a look.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can.

You can also just drop them right in without acclimating or QT or anything.

But should you? Absolutely not. Don't do it.

Personally the benefits to buying fish from vendors who do their own QT for you is much greater than just avoiding disease.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are going to get a lot of varying opinions on this but since you asked can you do this, only MB, the answer is yes. You can. It is better than nothing but as with everything there is still risk.

Bob Fenner has a blurb on fresh water dips and baths using Methylene Blue. I would recommend heading over to your favorite search engine and taking a look.
There are also multiple threads here. One problem with all of this is that it's always hard to pin down whether a given fish that is being quarantined actually has a disease. So - if you do a dip with methylene blue - and there were no parasites - you will think 'it worked'.

I tend to go with the instructions on the bottle - Kordon has instructions for dips, treatment, etc. I do not believe it's effective for all parasites - and the manufacturer states as much.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also multiple threads here. One problem with all of this is that it's always hard to pin down whether a given fish that is being quarantined actually has a disease. So - if you do a dip with methylene blue - and there were no parasites - you will think 'it worked'.

I tend to go with the instructions on the bottle - Kordon has instructions for dips, treatment, etc. I do not believe it's effective for all parasites - and the manufacturer states as much.

I don't disagree. I just prefer Mr. Fener's methods and explanation and have used it in the past.

On a personal opinion level, which they didn't ask, is that proper quarantine, isolation, observation, and hospital protocols are better. Assuming one is educated (understanding how, why, when, etc) and practiced. I believe that more harm can be done when doing any of these incorrectly.

I added a bit more, apologies as I know you didn't ask for all of that :) Hope your day is well.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fact is few of us have adequate provisions for QT and same with stores. Some lower the salinity and treat with copper. You see said fish there for two weeks eating and jolly as can be and think to yourself. What could go wrong... Murphy's Law

As stated. Clueless to what's possibly ailing means placebo at best. Can't hurt. Just don't expect miracles and perhaps best find a source that does QT. All it takes is one with hitchhikers to ruin a perfectly good tank and cost savings on that one fish going to be more costly to replace all there first.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't disagree. I just prefer Mr. Fener's methods and explanation and have used it in the past.

On a personal opinion level, which they didn't ask, is that proper quarantine, isolation, observation, and hospital protocols are better. Assuming one is educated (understanding how, why, when, etc) and practiced. I believe that more harm can be done when doing any of these incorrectly.

I added a bit more, apologies as I know you didn't ask for all of that :) Hope your day is well.
No apology needed - I knew multiple people have discussed it here - but I did not know about the fenner information. Humblefish wrote a writeup on it several years ago - with a protocol. I do not know if it matches the one on the bottle (Kordon)

Flame2hawk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a product called safety stop which comes with meth blue and I think formalin. You dip fish for 45m-1hr separately in each solution. My guess is that it’s better than nothing but no way it substitutes for a 4-6wk Qt tank and process.

WaterWerks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This here all depends on if your fish a really healthy in your tank correctly.
I do not dip or QT my fish when I get them. Typically I purchase a new fish and let the life stock store keep them for a week until the new shipment comes in. (Good customer service.) As normally their tanks have all the medications to help treat for parasites.
If they are alive I pick them up and acclimate and add.

If you’re going to use medications on your own you might as well set up a QT and do it that way.

I also try not to add very sensitive fish to my tank as I know there is ich in it but none of my fish ever have spots and eat just about anything I through at them

Flame2hawk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This here all depends on if your fish a really healthy in your tank correctly.
I do not dip or QT my fish when I get them. Typically I purchase a new fish and let the life stock store keep them for a week until the new shipment comes in. (Good customer service.) As normally their tanks have all the medications to help treat for parasites.
If they are alive I pick them up and acclimate and add.

If you’re going to use medications on your own you might as well set up a QT and do it that way.

I also try not to add very sensitive fish to my tank as I know there is ich in it but none of my fish ever have spots and eat just about anything I through at them
May your luck continue. Rarely do the LFS use therapeutic levels of meds but rather lower amounts to keep things at bay but not eradicate. I can’t take the chance as have some rather expensive fish in very large tanks so QT everything except captive bred fish from Biota, Poma or Bali A, which I have many.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 10.0%
Back