Can you name this macro?

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing on a snail. This snail hangs out up high in the tank at around 400 par most of the time, my filters have pulled some of the deep maroon coloration out of it. Is somewhat slimy feeling, grows super slow.

Do I want to keep it? I think it's pretty. But will it grow out of control one day.
1000006492.jpg

1000006496.jpg

Thank you to everyone who answers my vacuous questions on here. This thread and any other. Whether you like it or not, you guys are my reefing buddy's.

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a plating sponge correct ?
@Nate Chalk ?
I have no idea. I was leaning gracilaria. But I can't find anything that looks like it. I've never even seen a plating sponge. But that is certainly not out of the question. This stuff looks frilly like the front of a powder blue tuxedo in 1974.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Digi weed taking up all the nutrients stunting macro growth. Digi weed bad. Frag pest digi coral. Then mail to me for analysis and sciencing. I smart. I has test tube and goggles
I just broke a bunch out a week ago. But I cannot imagine a scenario where I don't end up with more bad digiweed to send anyone who wants it in just a few weeks.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing on a snail. This snail hangs out up high in the tank at around 400 par most of the time, my filters have pulled some of the deep maroon coloration out of it. Is somewhat slimy feeling, grows super slow.

Do I want to keep it? I think it's pretty. But will it grow out of control one day.
1000006492.jpg

1000006496.jpg

Thank you to everyone who answers my vacuous questions on here. This thread and any other. Whether you like it or not, you guys are my reefing buddy's.
If you have access to a microscope, telling if it's a sponge or algae would be pretty easy by looking at it with the scope - macroalgae basically just looks like connected bubbles under a scope while a sponge would have spicules likely spongin visible as well.

That said, assuming it's a red algae, I'm definitely still learning about red macroalgae, but possibly a Predaea species (this would be my first guess) or a "Fauchea" species (in quotes because the only species I can find that look like this are all identified on Wet Web Media; I can't find any confirmation of this designation elsewhere) like in the links below:
If not, there are a bunch of others that could potentially look like this as well (the more I learn with algae, the more I find I still need to learn to give proper algae ID's).

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have access to a microscope, telling if it's a sponge or algae would be pretty easy by looking at it with the scope - macroalgae basically just looks like connected bubbles under a scope while a sponge would have spicules likely spongin visible as well.

That said, assuming it's a red algae, I'm definitely still learning about red macroalgae, but possibly a Predaea species (this would be my first guess) or a "Fauchea" species (in quotes because the only species I can find that look like this are all identified on Wet Web Media; I can't find any confirmation of this designation elsewhere) like in the links below:
If not, there are a bunch of others that could potentially look like this as well (the more I learn with algae, the more I find I still need to learn to give proper algae ID's).
Oh wow, thank you. It's such a a slow grower that I'm gonna wait until there is a little more of it then get a cut off of it and put it under a microscope. I'll post the pictures of it back here maybe one day it will help someone else.

One question about the sponge vs macro thing. It is routinely exposed to air when the snail sits on top of my return nozzles. In fact when he does that, it will be in the air for upwards of an hour or two.

Am I misremembering that sponges aren't supposed to be exposed to air? I'm still gonna look and take pictures once there is enough of it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I misremembering that sponges aren't supposed to be exposed to air? I'm still gonna look and take pictures once there is enough of it.
Some sponges may not handle air exposure (this is currently up for some debate), but a number of sponges are completely fine being exposed to air for literally hours at a time:
I've heard this too, but I strongly question the validity of it because numerous sponge species are found in the intertidal zone and are exposed to air with every low tide (see the link below). That said, it's possible that it may be able to cause problems for some species (see the quote below), but your method of releasing the air bubbles is what I would've done/suggested anyway as a precaution.

Again, I personally doubt this is actually an issue. This subject reminds me of the confirmedly false myth that starfish die when exposed to air; in reality they only die from prolonged air exposure, similar to how we humans die from prolonged water exposure (submersion). For starfish, a quick trip through the air won't kill it, and I'd imagine the same holds true for most (if not all) sponges.

So, I'd assume that as long as your tank can provide the proper environment and care for the sponge, it'll recover from any problems.
Agreed - it seems to be a very nicely colored sponge.

With regards to sponges dying when exposed to air, my understanding is that they essentially get air trapped inside their structure and slowly desiccate and/or starve from not being able to continuously filter the water in and out of their body. I wonder if this condition could be treated successfully using methods similar to how one "burps" a clam or a nautilus (i.e. I'm curious if slowly rotating it 360 degrees underwater multiple times would help relieve the problem/release the air from inside the sponge). I suppose with a sponge you would likely need to rotate it 360 degrees in a number of different directions (i.e. top to bottom, side to side, diagonals, etc.) and/or possibly expose it to some flow while "burping" it to help dislodge any bubbles in the spicules, but - in my mind/in theory at least - it seems like it would help.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of nemastoma algae to me. Some species grow in bubbly bushes like in the picture. They're kinda gelatinous which would explain the slimy feeling.
Yeah it's a weird thing. It's growing, but slowly. I still need to get a cut of it and take a look. I've looked at thousands of photos in dozens of sponge and algea identification guides. I've followed numerous rabbit holes of species and still can't get close. I should revisit this one I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll take a chunk when you are ready!
I'll remember that. That's kinda why I'm trying to find out what it is. I keep a sharp eye on that snail. I'm thinking about putting him in a small acclimation box to give it a better chance to grow. It's quite pretty in person. I d like to see a more mature form of it for sure.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll remember that. That's kinda why I'm trying to find out what it is. I keep a sharp eye on that snail. I'm thinking about putting him in a small acclimation box to give it a better chance to grow. It's quite pretty in person. I d like to see a more mature form of it for sure.
Cool. I pass through your neck of the woods from time to time on my way to Indialantic to visit family...

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

After revisiting and getting a little growth, I agree here. After reading more and finding a few other pictures to make association with, I am certain this is predaea. I went ahead and took a snip. I can't get a picture with my microscope but was able to verify.

Thank you! So now I am off to find a small acclimation box to keep this snail in.

Last edited:

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 76 27.4%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 118 42.6%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 69 24.9%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.1%
Back