Candy Cane Coral-not where you might think?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past year I’ve become a big fan of my two Candy Cane corals. They were given to me but I’ve never really been drawn to them. I originally mounted them on my rockscape but thought ultimately they might encroach on too much sps territory. So about 6 months ago I removed them from the rocks and placed them in the sandbed. Great move I think.
IMG_7111.jpeg
IMG_7116.jpeg
IMG_7119.jpeg

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! They look like they are loving their new location. It’s good to see that touching the sand bed doesn’t seem to irritate them at all
That was a thought and concern but my sandbed doesn’t blow around at all. So it was worth a try. They’ve doubled in size as well since their new location.

Last edited:

CrashTestBennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past year I’ve become a big fan of my two Candy Cane corals. They were given to me but I’ve never really been drawn to them. I originally mounted them on my rockscape but thought ultimately they might encroach on too much sps territory. So about 6 months ago I removed them from the rocks and placed them in the sandbed. Great move I think.
IMG_7111.jpeg
IMG_7116.jpeg
IMG_7119.jpeg
How did you get it in the sand? If I wanted to follow in your footsteps, what should I mount it to, the glass? It looks amazing!

CrashTestBennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a thought and concern but my sandbed doesn’t blow around at all. So it was worth a try. They’ve doubled in size as well since their new location.
That's awesome, the trumpets look so meaty that I'm envious! Here's what mine looks like now...

Attachments

• 20241014_233721.jpg
    20241014_233721.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you get it in the sand? If I wanted to follow in your footsteps, what should I mount it to, the glass? It looks amazing!
So here’s what happened. I had those two exact corals mounted on my rock work. I had just mounted some nice acros close enough to them that I thought there could be fighting in the future if not near future. So I snapped both of them off of the rock and set them in the sand. I can move them around if I want but I don’t want.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those look great. I need to try a candy cane again. I tried a few years ago but they didn't do well for me.
Those were given to me. Never my first choice. But now I like them. Puffy, pastel green, in the sand. A nice addition. Thx

CrashTestBennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s what happened. I had those two exact corals mounted on my rock work. I had just mounted some nice acros close enough to them that I thought there could be fighting in the future if not near future. So I snapped both of them off of the rock and set them in the sand. I can move them around if I want but I don’t want.
That's pretty darn cool, thank you! I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens... I'm excited!

CrashTestBennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine about 18month but the last week it is very bright . Do you think something is wrong with it ???
They look amazing to me! I'm floored by the resolution of your picture. What kind of camera are you using? I personally don't see anything wrong with them. They look healthy and meaty, with great color definition. I'm far from an expert, so please don't take just my opinion.

BriDroid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours look amazing to me as well. I have a little frag with 2 mouths, I’m still waiting for it to split. It gets closer and closer everyday it looks like. Here’s a pic from just now. It’s all puffed up since the bottom mouth just ate a Benepellet. Normally has much more green showing.
IMG_9970.jpeg

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a small colony from a nice person on this site last week. Never kept them and never cared to. I don’t even know how they will do but they do look nice under my kessil A360’s

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look amazing to me! I'm floored by the resolution of your picture. What kind of camera are you using? I personally don't see anything wrong with them. They look healthy and meaty, with great color definition. I'm far from an expert, so please don't take just my opinion.
Thank you . I have noticed they have gone very bright the last week and thought they might be sick , but hopefully not .
My camera is just my mobile phone which is about 5 years old lol , nothing special tbh

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had mine about 18month but the last week it is very bright . Do you think something is wrong with it ???
One of mine is receiving too much flow. I’m going to move it soon. Could that be an issue?

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours look amazing to me as well. I have a little frag with 2 mouths, I’m still waiting for it to split. It gets closer and closer everyday it looks like. Here’s a pic from just now. It’s all puffed up since the bottom mouth just ate a Benepellet. Normally has much more green showing.
IMG_9970.jpeg
Looks awesome. Deffo splitting

CrashTestBennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9970.jpeg
Is that a pinstripe candy cane? So cool to see that first split!

CrashTestBennie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you . I have noticed they have gone very bright the last week and thought they might be sick , but hopefully not .
My camera is just my mobile phone which is about 5 years old lol , nothing special tbh
Well, I have a brand new galaxy, and it doesn't come close to taking closeups like yours!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

ASSUME MONEY AND TIME ARE NOT A FACTOR: IF YOU COULD START OVER WITH YOUR TANK, WOULD YOU?

• Yes. I would love a fresh start.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • Maybe. At times I wish I could start fresh, while other times I'm happy where I'm at.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • No. I'm happy with where I'm at in my reefing journey.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back