Carbon

roan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up my nano tank, it came with a skimmer that had a little pad of carbon in the white felt in a plastic frame (like the disposable filter cartridge) I didn’t want to use that skimmer but decided to toss the carbon pad in the sump, it’s under loads of alfagrog now but after reading effects long term I’m unsure whether to dig it out or not, it’s about an inch long by about 2 inches wide and about 2cm thick

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is a great media to run. There are plenty of threads discussing the pros and cons, but IMO the pros outweigh the cons for most systems. Its a great safety net. That said, you do have to change it out every 4-6 weeks. It doesn’t last forever.

OP
OP
roan

roan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon is a great media to run. There are plenty of threads discussing the pros and cons, but IMO the pros outweigh the cons for most systems. Its a great safety net. That said, you do have to change it out every 4-6 weeks. It doesn’t last forever.
Thanks, by replace do you mean it starts to go bad or it just stops filtering or whatever it does without negative effects

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bag of carbon in my sump, I run carbon on all my tanks. You can see and smell the benefits, so there is no doubt it works. I change mine out every 2 weeks.

Personally I don't think there are any negatives. I've heard if left on too long, it can start leaching stuff back into the water, but I change it regularly so I've never had a concern.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, by replace do you mean it starts to go bad or it just stops filtering or whatever it does without negative effects

It binds organic matter to the surfaces of the little black particles. When those surfaces are covered, it generally loses any utility.

Back