Cheap auto top up unit recommendation

trini2debone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey friends, as the header stated; I am in the market for a auto top off unit. I also want a budget friendly one. Any recommendations?... If your answer is going to a version of "You get what you pay for", go clean your sump or something because they will be ignored... Looking forward to answer to THE QUESTION. :)

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey friends, as the header stated; I am in the market for an auto top off unit. I also want a budget friendly one. Any recommendations?... If your answer is going to a version of "You get what you pay for", go clean your sump or something because they will be ignored... Looking forward to answer to THE QUESTION. :)
You get what you pay for with ato systems.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cheapest way is the bottle gravity fed way, which is very cheap, but limited to the bottle size. On a big tank like yours, it will last about 2 hours. Even on my 5 gallon tank its only enough for one weekend.

They are all relatively about $100 - little more or less - and out of all the money you will spend its the best $100. It gives peace of mind, and most of the one's I've tried lasted multiple years.

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1719871684998.png
+
1719871722083.png
=$30

anemonalex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check amazon I got this one for $50 in March. So 4 months and it has done it's job for me.
WONICE Auto Top Off System- Smart ATO Lite Water Filler Refiller Advanced Water Level Controller w/Pump for Reef and Freshwater Saltwater Tanks Aquarium https://a.co/d/0ftvVTw5
I just got a bpa free cereal container. It's clear and fits next to my sump so it looks nice and I have to fill it daily but I like the involvement.

OP
OP
T

trini2debone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check amazon I got this one for $50 in March. So 4 months and it has done it's job for me.
WONICE Auto Top Off System- Smart ATO Lite Water Filler Refiller Advanced Water Level Controller w/Pump for Reef and Freshwater Saltwater Tanks Aquarium https://a.co/d/0ftvVTw5
I just got a bpa free cereal container. It's clear and fits next to my sump so it looks nice and I have to fill it daily but I like the involvement.
Thanks, will check it out. :)

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a big tank you want a big reservoir too.

Can be a good idea to put the ato on a smart plug timer to only come on a 3-4 times a day for a minute, especially if you go cheap, this will stop the ato filling your tank with water if it should go wrong, it will only over fill by 3-4 minutes worth of water instead of emptying your reservoir.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have an apex or controller? My ato’s have been 2 float switches at the same height. If 1 goes high they turn off and if they both go low it turns on

OP
OP
T

trini2debone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have an apex or controller? My ato’s have been 2 float switches at the same height. If 1 goes high they turn off and if they both go low it turns on
I don't but that is really smart, thanks for sharing. I have been playing with the idea of getting a Coralvue Hydros. They are getting great reviews and are budget friendly.

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze, i had a Innovative Marine one, but the Tunze i feel is sort of better with the sensors, and it has a siren incase your ATO is stuck in syphon and continuously dispensing.

But a tank that large will require a large DI reservoir, unless your Kalk dosage is significant enough to offset it.

For example, i am dispensing about 600ml of Kalk solution per day on my 150, so my ATO does not dispense much. But if i didn't do my kalk, then i would need at least 600ml of DI water per day on top of what its already dispensing.

I also use the overpriced ReefCan as a reservior, but i could not find a trashcan bin thin enough with the same dimensions of the reefcan, hence why i was strong armed to buy one.

OP
OP
T

trini2debone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tunze, i had a Innovative Marine one, but the Tunze i feel is sort of better with the sensors, and it has a siren incase your ATO is stuck in syphon and continuously dispensing.

But a tank that large will require a large DI reservoir, unless your Kalk dosage is significant enough to offset it.

For example, i am dispensing about 600ml of Kalk solution per day on my 150, so my ATO does not dispense much. But if i didn't do my kalk, then i would need at least 600ml of DI water per day on top of what its already dispensing.

I also use the overpriced ReefCan as a reservior, but i could not find a trashcan bin thin enough with the same dimensions of the reefcan, hence why i was strong armed to buy one.
I think most of the water is evaporated via the sump my DT is covered. I also have a large reserve, just need a ATO to pair it with. I'll start my reseach on the tunze.

DO YOU PRIORITIZE YOUR TANK AFTER A LONG DAY?

• Yes, my tank helps me with day-to-day stress relief.

Votes: 48 41.0%
  • Yes, even if I don't feel like it.

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • It depends on the day.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • No, I'll try to save my "tank work" for a different day.

Votes: 14 12.0%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back