Choosing the Proper Light 30x30x24" Cube?

ReefingDaily

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently upgraded to a 30x30x24" 90 gal cube. The plan is to have a mixed reef and I don't want to be limited by the power of an LED light. Somewhat on a budget, so I've been looking at the A8s (knock off radion xr30), reefi Uno 2.0, Smatfarm 140W, and Reefi Led Uno. With any of these lights am I able to get away with just one unit on an arm mount? Any other suggestions?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently upgraded to a 30x30x24" 90 gal cube. The plan is to have a mixed reef and I don't want to be limited by the power of an LED light. Somewhat on a budget, so I've been looking at the A8s (knock off radion xr30), reefi Uno 2.0, Smatfarm 140W, and Reefi Led Uno. With any of these lights am I able to get away with just one unit on an arm mount? Any other suggestions?
My tank is slightly smaller than yours 28x28x24 I am using 1 reefi uno pro 2.0 with the 120 degree reflector. I will say its doing well and I love it. I just bumped it up a bit from 155w to 175w just to get some more light to some of my corals I was in the 200 par range across most of the tank at about 12" depth. I think a bar or something will be needed eventually just for shading as with most lighting options more light angles is always better.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I second the Reefi Uno 2.1 as it's easy setup and very strong. With the 120deg reflector it would give you the coverage needed.
It comes with a 90deg and 120deg reflector

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the uno but they are small so you will definitely get shading with just 1. I would say you likely need 2 for that size eventually. 2 of the fake radions would be cheap and give you great coverage.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a general primer ..
Factor 3: SPREAD
Here, the important thing is that the fixture spread must match tank dimensions. We have found that dual LED fixtures or a T5 array serves complex hardscapes that have shaded areas, as having two or more light sources will tend to reach most areas of the planted tank. A setup with poor spread (e.g. single bulb) will have very high PAR values in certain areas (often the centre of the light) while the edges are shadowed.

Point sources have circular areas of coverage and are best suited for square planted aquarium or tank dimensions that can be divided into squares with minimal overlap. Aquascaping rocks and other tall hardscape easily block the light from point sources from getting to plants. Using 2 fixtures, front/back or going for lighting sets that come in an array may work better.
Don't rule out using narrower lenses but taller heights.
Screenshot_20240927-221851.png

90 degrees ..14" from light face to water...approx
Yea about 38" total to a bare bottom
but your upper to lower par will have a smaller difference then a wide angle low height
120 degrees 8" height
All considering one " square" light
and wanting to cover the water surface.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 26 24.1%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 19 17.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back