Cleaner Shrimp Quarantine?

Obriy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had four of of six of my fish dying within one week, learned my lesson and set up QT.
Fire shrimp is one of the additions I'm planning within next 2 months and many LFS keep them in in tanks with fish. However, I've never heard about quarantine procedure for shrimp...

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had four of of six of my fish dying within one week, learned my lesson and set up QT.
Fire shrimp is one of the additions I'm planning within next 2 months and many LFS keep them in in tanks with fish. However, I've never heard about quarantine procedure for shrimp...
I would just keep him in a tank with no fish and let it go fishless as anything wet can carry ich

But lots of people dont QT inverts

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp (any crustacean) QT norm is until they molt.
...but if you already have issues in your DT then I'd go with fallow (fishless) for whatever timeframe you feel safe with -- 45 days (higher temp), 60 days. etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
They really dont need quarantine but do need GOOD acclimation. I personally would hold off on the shrimp and take the time to get the tank straightened out and assure its disease free even doing a fallow *leave tank without fish at least 6 weeks).

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They really dont need quarantine but do need GOOD acclimation. I personally would hold off on the shrimp and take the time to get the tank straightened out and assure its disease free even doing a fallow *leave tank without fish at least 6 weeks).
You don't need to Quarantine Shrimps? But isn't there a chance for shrimps to carry ich or velvet tomonts? At least until they molt?

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would QT until it MOLTS. My thought is any Tomont encysted on it would come off with the molt.

Otherwise fishless 45 days at 81 degrees.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
You don't need to Quarantine Shrimps? But isn't there a chance for shrimps to carry ich or velvet tomonts? At least until they molt?
While there is that possibility, its slim but is an option to you if you want assurance its free of parasites. Even after a molt, if present , its still then a risk as they can increase their life stages. They need a host fish to thrive on for reproduction, and without a fish, they die off after 6-8 weeks

OP
OP
Obriy

Obriy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I forgot to mention - I'm restarting the tank (fought SCA for over two months with zero improvement). So the tank is disease-free and fishless up until my clowns go through QT procedure.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I forgot to mention - I'm restarting the tank (fought SCA for over two months with zero improvement). So the tank is disease-free and fishless up until my clowns go through QT procedure.
It depends on your risk tolerance, the source of the shrimp (was it housed with fish?) and what disease you are worried about. Some diseases don’t have a resting stage. Flukes eggs are about 14 days. Ich has reported to remain infective under laboratory conditions for up to 75 days, but in the real world it is 45 days. (Go to 60 days to be safe).

If you house the shrimp in a fishless tank for 30 days, it will be about as “clear” of possible disease as your fish are leaving a standard quarantine.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back