Clowns itching and twitching. Ich/velvet/flukes?

gabrielquissak32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.
I have a tank with a pair of clowns and a baby bamboo shark in a 180g
I had a purple tang that unfortunately passed and when I took to my lfs they’ve had a look at it and said it had white spot. My clowns at that stage( 3 weeks ago) had gone off food and were acting weird so I’ve figured they would also have white spot.
Immediately started treating with Polyb Lab Medic - that treats white spot and velvet.
Treated for 15 days and they’ve started eating again on day 3 or 4 and hadn’t twitched since day 5 so I’ve stopped treating as the recommendation is to treat for 10 to 20 days.
Now, that I have stopped treating for 5 days they are itching on the rocks and twitching a lot. They twitched a lot for about 2-3 minutes but I didn’t record. They are still itching and look uncomfortable. Should I just go back to treating with polyb lab medic or should I look for a flukes solution ? I can’t identify the difference between velvet/flukes. Also they are mostly white so can’t see white spots either. I’ll put a short video up so you guys can have a look at breathing, gills, fins and how they’re swimming.
Thanks for all the help refers. Also I’m based in Austrália so some of the stuff you guys use in America might not be available here or vice versa. Vídeo taken under 100% white light

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heading to bed now but here are a couple posts that will help you out when others awake in the morning

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi guys.
I have a tank with a pair of clowns and a baby bamboo shark in a 180g
I had a purple tang that unfortunately passed and when I took to my lfs they’ve had a look at it and said it had white spot. My clowns at that stage( 3 weeks ago) had gone off food and were acting weird so I’ve figured they would also have white spot.
Immediately started treating with Polyb Lab Medic - that treats white spot and velvet.
Treated for 15 days and they’ve started eating again on day 3 or 4 and hadn’t twitched since day 5 so I’ve stopped treating as the recommendation is to treat for 10 to 20 days.
Now, that I have stopped treating for 5 days they are itching on the rocks and twitching a lot. They twitched a lot for about 2-3 minutes but I didn’t record. They are still itching and look uncomfortable. Should I just go back to treating with polyb lab medic or should I look for a flukes solution ? I can’t identify the difference between velvet/flukes. Also they are mostly white so can’t see white spots either. I’ll put a short video up so you guys can have a look at breathing, gills, fins and how they’re swimming.
Thanks for all the help refers. Also I’m based in Austrália so some of the stuff you guys use in America might not be available here or vice versa. Vídeo taken under 100% white light
Its irritants and MEDIC rarely treats anything especially if advanced stage as its merely Peroxide salts ad at $40 for that small bottle not worth it. It may likely be flukes which are often invisible to the eye but has notable symptoms such as gills red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
If you are seeing any or most of these symptoms, may be flukes and treatment will be PraziPro. To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can you send a video by YouTube - as many browsers do not display movies correctly. I'm not sure polyp lab medic is that good when there are symptoms - some people use it as a preventative. That said - with no white spots, it's hard to say 'ich' - as others have said - it could be flukes or something else. Is it breathing ok?

I'm sure you're aware that like cichlids clowns can do a sort of shimmy, and scratch (mainly with their mouths) - against items to clean it before laying eggs - I'm guessing you'r videos does not show this behavior but - it would be great to see.

The history (assuming the tang had Ich) - is somewhat similar to ich - i.e. a fluctuating course. Did you quarantine your fish?

OP
OP
G

gabrielquissak32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its irritants and MEDIC rarely treats anything especially if advanced stage as its merely Peroxide salts ad at $40 for that small bottle not worth it. It may likely be flukes which are often invisible to the eye but has notable symptoms such as gills red or swollen with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects. They may also exhibit what looks like yawning from gill irritation develop, cloudy eyes and loss of color.
If you are seeing any or most of these symptoms, may be flukes and treatment will be PraziPro. To be safe , dose at 80% of recommended and apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite. If running a skimmer, leave cup off first 24 hrs as skimmer will go nuts from the glycol solution in Prazi
Thanks mate. No prazipro in Australia. Anything similar to it? I can check if they have it here . I’ve found these tablets. Don’t know if they’re any good

OP
OP
G

gabrielquissak32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send a video by YouTube - as many browsers do not display movies correctly. I'm not sure polyp lab medic is that good when there are symptoms - some people use it as a preventative. That said - with no white spots, it's hard to say 'ich' - as others have said - it could be flukes or something else. Is it breathing ok?

I'm sure you're aware that like cichlids clowns can do a sort of shimmy, and scratch (mainly with their mouths) - against items to clean it before laying eggs - I'm guessing you'r videos does not show this behavior but - it would be great to see.

The history (assuming the tang had Ich) - is somewhat similar to ich - i.e. a fluctuating course. Did you quarantine your fish?
They seem to be breathing a bit heavily. Especially the female. They were really active and hungry today. Hadn’t seen them keen to eat like they were today in a while. Although they were twitching. Most fish here in Australia are qtd. the pair of clowns I bought from a breeder and they were qtd at his end for 2 months and the purple tang was qtd for 10 days at my lfs

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They seem to be breathing a bit heavily. Especially the female. They were really active and hungry today. Hadn’t seen them keen to eat like they were today in a while. Although they were twitching. Most fish here in Australia are qtd. the pair of clowns I bought from a breeder and they were qtd at his end for 2 months and the purple tang was qtd for 10 days at my lfs
All depends on the QT method. Here in the states dealers like to keep their copper or salinity levels just good enough to hide but not eliminate the problems... 10 days in a QT isn't long enough to treat most things.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Give them a 5 minute freshwater dip for temporary relief with air stone
Ruby rally should be available to you and I believe Waterlife Myxazin

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back