Considering rearranging my fish cave. 500 gallon fowlr

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
The scaping is so light , yet looks good. I will have to do something as I am working on a purchase of a 600 gallon acrylic, that is long/tall/wide. My hold up is a shipper, but still searching- otherwise its a go

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Jacks and dollies are the way to go. Using help/people is asking for trouble and possibly some getting hurt. With a tank that size one could lose a finger
dolly was my savior with the current 360 I have,

OP
OP
Tliguors

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I’m still thinking about it. It’s only gonna move a few feet just so I can make the room work a lot better. I’m definitely gonna use dollies and jacks to move it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! I want Rays in my 500 but I worry about my aggressive tankmates. May wait and see how they play out. Moving my 500 gallon was awful but without stairs and several guys it is doable and that is my recommendation :)

OP
OP
Tliguors

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scaping is so light , yet looks good. I will have to do something as I am working on a purchase of a 600 gallon acrylic, that is long/tall/wide. My hold up is a shipper, but still searching- otherwise its a go

Thanks! It took me a year of constant moving of rock to get it to where I liked it. And now I have a full brute can of extra live rock just sitting in saltwater. Lol. I’m sure I’ll keep moving things around. I love how it works out now. The rays are constantly swimming around in and out of all the caves and they love it.

Awesome tank! I want Rays in my 500 but I worry about my aggressive tankmates. May wait and see how they play out. Moving my 500 gallon was awful but without stairs and several guys it is doable and that is my recommendation :)

What kind of tank mates ? The only one I’ve had a problem with was an orange shoulder tang. Who was with a different ray peacefully then the ones I have now (same species) but when I upgraded he decided to start nipping at them. I’ve had all types of tangs and butterflies ect with them and they have all been fine. They truly are my second favorite in my aquarium because they are so social. (Big puff being number 1)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It took me a year of constant moving of rock to get it to where I liked it. And now I have a full brute can of extra live rock just sitting in saltwater. Lol. I’m sure I’ll keep moving things around. I love how it works out now. The rays are constantly swimming around in and out of all the caves and they love it.

What kind of tank mates ? The only one I’ve had a problem with was an orange shoulder tang. Who was with a different ray peacefully then the ones I have now (same species) but when I upgraded he decided to start nipping at them. I’ve had all types of tangs and butterflies ect with them and they have all been fine. They truly are my second favorite in my aquarium because they are so social. (Big puff being number 1)
Large angels, tangs, wrasse, puffers, and a trigger. A lot of potnentiallh nasty fish. I do suspect they will focus on each other and the tank being so busy could help

OP
OP
Tliguors

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large angels, tangs, wrasse, puffers, and a trigger. A lot of potnentiallh nasty fish. I do suspect they will focus on each other and the tank being so busy could help

Well the angels are a definite no. I’ve had my two puffers with them forever. Tangs are “with caution” I’ve seen that mostly it’s the surgeonfish that like to “graze” on the rays disc never had a problem with any other type of tang.. And I’ve never kept triggers never really liked them.

Ironwill723

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It was made by custom aquariums. Really well made. 96x47x24 ish

Thanks. I'm actually looking at them now. Either the 10'x24"x24"H or the 8'x24"x30"H. I can't decide. Worried about being able to clean the back glass on the 30" High.

OP
OP
Tliguors

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm actually looking at them now. Either the 10'x24"x24"H or the 8'x24"x30"H. I can't decide. Worried about being able to clean the back glass on the 30" High.

That’s why I went with the 24 it’s much easier to clean and reach the bottom. Plus the main fish of my tank need more surface area not up and down. Just know before a certain size they do curb side delivery free. It was a regular truck with a lift gate with one person and he “bounced” it off the lift gate. I almost had a heart attack but all and all it worked out just fine and am super happy with the tank. The only thing I was not happy about was the mat they sent for under the tank looked like a drunk person cut it and it was too small but hey they build fish tanks not mats. The process with them itself was painless though. And very nice people.

OP
OP
Tliguors

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smaller ones no I have cowries and conchs and they are fine. And little bumblebee snails but I think they just can’t get to them in the little spaces. And I did have a couple of strawberry hermits for a little while. They just disappeared one day

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I have thought about putting my trigger into my display but snails are my reason for not doing so. I don't think I'd be as lucky as you. :0)

OP
OP
Tliguors

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I have thought about putting my trigger into my display but snails are my reason for not doing so. I don't think I'd be as lucky as you. :0)
I don’t think anything has a chance against the trigger. Lol. All the porcupine puffers I have had have been very docile and friendly. Never kept triggers because of the rays.

OP
OP
Tliguors

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill keep trying to get a better one.

75266596-70E8-4245-9FE6-4ADCFA583F1D.jpeg

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you're considering a large tank like that I really recommend going with one that is 36" front to back or more. You will love the extra space and never look back.

OP
OP
Tliguors

Tliguors

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're considering a large tank like that I really recommend going with one that is 36" front to back or more. You will love the extra space and never look back.

I agree. Mines 48 and I love the way deeper tanks look.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BATTLE OF THE INVERTS: STARFISH OR SEA URCHINS? SHARE A PICTURE OF YOUR LITTLE INVERTS!

• Starfish!

Votes: 32 24.4%
  • Sea Urchins!

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • There is no way I can choose...

Votes: 30 22.9%
  • Other (please explain!).

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back