Controversial stock plan? What is the probably of this working

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying these are not all going in my 100gal tank. (The 100gal is only temp. for approx 6m to a year or so)
Current:
-foxface rabbitfish
-copperband butterfly
-2 snowflake clownfish

I also have a flame angelfish in QT, but I would like to add a coral beauty with it so I’m thinking of picking it up now so I can add them at the same time. Is this possible?

Would like to add before new tank:
-Threadfin butterfly
-longnose butterfly (if possible)

Future tank (planning on 200gal)
-2 yellow tangs
-1 purple tang
-emperor angelfish
-maybe some other smaller fish, haven’t looked into anymore these are the main ones.
I know that some of these may be hit or miss, and it seems like a lot of these can be done, but is there any that definitely won’t work? I understand the ones that are hard to keep together need to be added at the same time. Is there any set I should add before/after one another?
Finally, what are the possibilities of me adding the tangs in as juveniles in the 100 gal until the 200gal is set up?
Apologies for the long thread, appreciate the advice in advance! Feel free to drop in some other suggestions as well

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 2 yellow tangs is not going to work out and the purple could be an issue with a single yellow. I keep 4 yellows and a purple but trying two yellows did not work out. I keep a Flame angel and a coral beauty with no problems but my tank has a footprint of 84x30" and they have only been together for a couple of months. I would not have added the coral beauty but it had to be removed from its previous tank. Personally I would stock for the 100g and worry about stocking the 200g once it has water. Too often life gets in the way and upgrades don't happen and the fish pay the price.

OP
OP
jamesb07

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 2 yellow tangs is not going to work out and the purple could be an issue with a single yellow. I keep 4 yellows and a purple but trying two yellows did not work out. I keep a Flame angel and a coral beauty with no problems but my tank has a footprint of 84x30" and they have only been together for a couple of months. I would not have added the coral beauty but it had to be removed from its previous tank. Personally I would stock for the 100g and worry about stocking the 200g once it has water. Too often life gets in the way and upgrades don't happen and the fish pay the price.
So my question is why would 4 yellows but not 2 work? I haven’t done too much research on tangs yet, but from what I’ve heard they’re best to keep in odd numbers( not sure if this is by color, or by total tangs in tank) thanks for your input!

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One on one is not good, there's always a winner and a looser. One against 3 spreads out the aggresion or can even eliminate it as has been the case for me so far. Most people like to add odd quantities but at $200 a pop 3 baby yellows was all I was willing to buy to add my new build. I have 5 yellows but keep one single zebrasoma in another tank after I tried two yellows together.

EDIT : I may be wrong but I think the having odd numbers applies more to fish that may transition to male so you don't end up with 2 pairs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jamesb07

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One on one is not good, there's always a winner and a looser. One against 3 spreads out the aggresion or can even eliminate it as has been the case for me so far. Most people like to add odd quantities but at $200 a pop 3 baby yellows was all I was willing to buy to add my new build. I have 5 yellows but one single zebrasoma in another tank after I tried two yellows together.
So what you’re telling me is I just need to add more yellow tangs lol…

OP
OP
jamesb07

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One on one is not good, there's always a winner and a looser. One against 3 spreads out the aggresion or can even eliminate it as has been the case for me so far. Most people like to add odd quantities but at $200 a pop 3 baby yellows was all I was willing to buy to add my new build. I have 5 yellows but one single zebrasoma in another tank after I tried two yellows together.

EDIT : I may be wrong but I think the having odd numbers applies more to fish that may transition to male so you don't end up with 2 pairs.
Gotcha, makes sense, thank you again!

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you’re telling me is I just need to add more yellow tangs lol…
Correct :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
PXL_20240823_003112714.jpg

OP
OP
jamesb07

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful! Tangs are in my top 5 for sure. Love to see a bunch of yellows together.
Have you had any problems with the copperband and yellow tangs? It’s another combo I’ve heard are 50/50 on working out

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Agree on the tangs- Always best is odd number 1=3=5 and so forth. I was lucky to get away with 6 yellows and there is a purple and many bearing yellow coloration.

1725896253704.png

OP
OP
jamesb07

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on the tangs- Always best is odd number 1=3=5 and so forth. I was lucky to get away with 6 yellows and there is a purple and many bearing yellow coloration.

1725896253704.png
absolutely beautiful fish. How’s your tuskfish? I had one and it wouldn’t leave anything alone in the tank, so had to rehome sadly. They’re beautiful fish and I’d love to keep one

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get tangs to live together in mostly harmony. They will still have tussles and establish a hierarchy. When adding tangs, I find the bests ways to mitigate the risk of over aggression or death, add more rockwork, caves for the tangs. Change the scape. Keep them in a clear box to get use to each other and try add them around the same time. I have 9 tangs. 8 out of 9 get on great, zebrasoma's being the easiest to add in groups. Powder species well that's another story and challenge in its own

Garage tank
2x scopas
1x purple
1x powder brown
1x redsea sailfin
1x mimic
1x blue hippo
1x bristletooth

1000003526.jpg

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had any problems with the copperband and yellow tangs? It’s another combo I’ve heard are 50/50 on working out
Surprisingly I have not. It was in the other tank with the single yellow with no problems for a year or so and has been in the tank above for six months with no issues.

EDIT : I don't think I'll ever set up another tank that isn't large enough for couple of tangs. IMO they are the most valuable members of my CUC. I've never had algae issues in one of my tanks with tangs. My smaller tank is a mess.

OP
OP
jamesb07

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get tangs to live together in mostly harmony. They will still have tussles and establish a hierarchy. When adding tangs, I find the bests ways to mitigate the risk of over aggression or death, add more rockwork, caves for the tangs. Change the scape. Keep them in a clear box to get use to each other and try add them around the same time. I have 9 tangs. 8 out of 9 get on great, zebrasoma's being the easiest to add in groups. Powder species well that's another story and challenge in its own

Garage tank
2x scopas
1x purple
1x powder brown
1x redsea sailfin
1x mimic
1x blue hippo
1x bristletooth

1000003526.jpg
That’s great! How about the QT process? I like to do a medicated QT, and obviously can’t have any rocks or anything for them, just pvc but I wasn’t sure if it would be suffice

OP
OP
jamesb07

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surprisingly I have not. It was in the other tank with the single yellow with no problems for a year or so and has been in the tank above for six months with no issues.

EDIT : I don't think I'll ever set up another tank that isn't large enough for couple of tangs. IMO they are the most valuable members of my CUC. I've never had algae issues in one of my tanks with tangs. My smaller tank is a mess.
Yeah me neither. I started with a 20gal, 1 month later I had a 75gal, two months after that I have a 100gal, and now the more and more I look at the bigger and imo cooler fish, the more I want. Hence why I now I’m working on a 200 gal setup

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
absolutely beautiful fish. How’s your tuskfish? I had one and it wouldn’t leave anything alone in the tank, so had to rehome sadly. They’re beautiful fish and I’d love to keep one
tusk, better now. There was a time when it would move my coral and literally pick up frags that were glued down and toss them. It has its' cave spot in the tank and is happy.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
That’s great! How about the QT process? I like to do a medicated QT, and obviously can’t have any rocks or anything for them, just pvc but I wasn’t sure if it would be suffice
QT is no issue as long as you provide hiding. I used Large pvc elbows and a resin tube

OP
OP
jamesb07

jamesb07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tusk, better now. There was a time when it would move my coral and literally pick up frags that were glued down and toss them. It has its' cave spot in the tank and is happy.
Interesting I’ll have to keep one on the back burner… thanks!

Do you happen to know if the dwarf angles work with the emperor angel?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Interesting I’ll have to keep one on the back burner… thanks!

Do you happen to know if the dwarf angles work with the emperor angel?
I have a coral beauty, flame and potters- no issues

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 54 77.1%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back