Convert Freshwater Tank to Saltwater. Is It Possible?

Berik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am new to the forums and this is my first post. I have a new Waterbox Eden 60 gallon setup that I was going to use as a freshwater tank, but I am now thinking of doing a macroalgae saltwater tank. While there has been no water yet added, it does have an Oase Biomaster Thermo canister filter installed holding sponges, Seachem Matrix, and Seachem Purigen. It also includes the Waterbox FLED freshwater full spectrum light, which I understand is best for macroalgae. Plus, I do have about 1.5" to 2" (50lbs) of AquaQuartz pool filter sand in the tank.

One thing I was thinking of doing is adding a bag of Caribsea Fiji Pink on top of the pool filter sand, then I have 55lbs of Pukani live rock to be added.

So being brand new to saltwater, I am wondering if this is even possible. Am I being realistic or are there things I am missing? Anything in this setup I should add or take away/replace? Any suggestions?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I am new to the forums and this is my first post. I have a new Waterbox Eden 60 gallon setup that I was going to use as a freshwater tank, but I am now thinking of doing a macroalgae saltwater tank. While there has been no water yet added, it does have an Oase Biomaster Thermo canister filter installed holding sponges, Seachem Matrix, and Seachem Purigen. It also includes the Waterbox FLED freshwater full spectrum light, which I understand is best for macroalgae. Plus, I do have about 1.5" to 2" (50lbs) of AquaQuartz pool filter sand in the tank.

One thing I was thinking of doing is adding a bag of Caribsea Fiji Pink on top of the pool filter sand, then I have 55lbs of Pukani live rock to be added.

So being brand new to saltwater, I am wondering if this is even possible. Am I being realistic or are there things I am missing? Anything in this setup I should add or take away/replace? Any suggestions?

Welcome!

If your system is primarily macro algae, would you even need to worry about filtration?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure its possible, depends how much you like to keep all the equipment out of sight, and you don’t need that much equipment if you like keeping things simple…but probably easier to buy a marine tank.

OP
OP
Berik

Berik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If your system is primarily macro algae, would you even need to worry about filtration?"

I have no idea what you mean by your question, since I am new to all of this. I assumed every fish tank needs some form of filtration, no? Keep in mind I was only describing how the tank is currently set up with a Biomaster canister filter.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"If your system is primarily macro algae, would you even need to worry about filtration?"

I have no idea what you mean by your question, since I am new to all of this. I assumed every fish tank needs some form of filtration, no? Keep in mind I was only describing how the tank is currently set up with a Biomaster canister filter.
Yeah it was a bad comment to a new reefer, he was basically saying that filtering the water is primarily to keep nitrates and phosphate under control, micro algae use these elements for food, he was suggesting the micro algae would take care of the filtering…but that would be unrealistic and some form of filtering would be needed imo.

Even on my link above he used surface skimmers etc.

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question....yes you can.
Get rid of the current sand and replace with the caribsea and replace the light with one that will keep whatever corals you decide to keep alive and growing..
There is no such thing as a freshwater versus saltwater tank.....a tank is a tank. Don't buy into the marketing nonsense.

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely doable.
I'm currently planning turning a de-baffled sump into a display for my son's first softy tank.
It will run off a simple eheim cannister with some gfo & carbon, a spare KESSIL a160 I have & waterchanges.

Don't spend mega bucks until you know it's the hobby for you.
Says me currently eyeing up a royal exclusiv skimmer & more kz bottles that I probably don't need :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very different than freshwater, its more difficult and more expensive and really requires due diligence to keep costs down and get it right.

This is a great thread below for starters. There is also the BRS 52 weeks of reefing short videos. This forum of course is extremely helpful.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sure, just add salt!

The other thing you need to reconsider is that a lot of macro plants in salt water don’t root like freshwater plants, but they have hold fast attached to live rock or bedrock.

I think the quartz sand may promote unwanted algae’s( but I am not certain about that ATM) but I think you should identify the plants that you want and can get to give them a proper seabed for success.

I also predict that you will add some fish, like a seahorse or pipefish or mandarin goby that can hunt live foods that can thrive in a grassy seabed. Calm water and proper filtration will work together but you need to plan ahead to avoid making changes later.

Gotta jump on a meeting, good luck!

PapaFishRocks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely can do it.

I turned my 90 gallon freshwater into a salty. Using an FX4 canister filter. Up and running for 18 months and my softies and fish are happy.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 72 26.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 117 43.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 65 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.2%
Back