Copper and Inverts, Don't kill me :)

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey!
So I'm wondering if there's a specific level of copper where it starts becoming safe for inverts.

I had Coppersafe in my QT Tank for a long time, and I've had Clowns living there.
I did several water changes including a 100% change to try and get rid of the copper.
There's live sand, rocks and filter media in there which is how was able to get away with the 100% change..

after that change I put in some snails, and almost a week later they seem to be happy.
but here's the question,
as of last night my hanna checker was reading 0.31 copper.

Now understanding that coppersafe is only therapeutic at 2.0..
is 0.31 similar to saying its under 0.05 for cupramine that's effective at 0.5?
Meaning 0.31 is almost completely gone for coppersafe?

(I want to know how low i have to get it before adding a starfish lets say)
The aim is obviously getting it to 0.0 but that's a tall order, and quite frankly I know that many inverts and mushrooms etc are ok with super super minuscule amounts of copper.

PS.
I have carbon in there indefinitely as well as pollyfilter for the time being, to ensure that nothing leaches out of the sand and rocks.
Those will generally keep the coper at bay

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re probably just killing them slowly.
I guess with that thought process, if I get it down to next to nothing over the next day or so would you think they'll recover or die either way?

Ive successfully grown anemones and mushrooms to super large sizes in tanks that have had copper in them before, but the numbers were likely less then 0.05, almost untraceable.
but i haven't tried after Coppersafe which needs much more to be toxic, so the question is really specifically to coppersafe if its less/not toxic at slightly higher levels than cupramine, or its all the same..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checker is not accurate enough at its low end to use for ensuring what the copper level is for safety. It’s fine, perhaps, for medicating, but not to ensure safety. A number of folks have seen substantial copper with it, but far lower levels (or none detected) by icp.

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna checker is not accurate enough at its low end to use for ensuring what the copper level is for safety. It’s fine, perhaps, for medicating, but not to ensure safety. A number of folks have seen substantial copper with it, but far lower levels (or none detected) by icp.
Meaning it could be that there really isn’t much if any copper in the tank now? And that’s why the snails have been fine?

That’sgood to know, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Hanna give a 0.0. It’s always 0.05 or whatever at lowest

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meaning it could be that there really isn’t much if any copper in the tank now? And that’s why the snails have been fine?

That’sgood to know, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Hanna give a 0.0. It’s always 0.05 or whatever at lowest

Yes, that could be correct (or not). In any case, it may never hit 0 even if zero. I’d use a copper binder such as cuprisorb or a polyfilter or metasorb.

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that could be correct (or not). In any case, it may never hit 0 even if zero. I’d use a copper binder such as cuprisorb or a polyfilter or metasorb.
Thanks for that!
Yeah I leave polyfilters in there for a while..
And then leave carbon indefinitely.
I find that carbon helps clean up small amounts of copper though not large.. so once the poly takes out as much as possible, the carbon keeps things steady

OP
OP
A

Aronsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so update,
I just checked with the Hanna Checker, and it’s now 0.1 down from 0.31 last night.
I replaced the poly filter and added carbon last night so that makes sense. (coppersafe)
I guess I’m pretty much in the safe zone hopefully

I forgot to mention I have a Fire shrimp in there, anything I should be concerned about?
Or if it’s fine after the number was lowered I should hopefully be ok?
He looks to be happy

Last question,
How often should I change the poly and carbon in the beginning?
I don’t want anything leaching back out..

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back