Coral beauty acting weird.

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All day my coral beauty has been underneath the rocks and she has not come out. She is breathing quickly and swimming but basically hovering over the sand and that’s where she is. Not sure what’s going on she was fine yesterday until today. I had a starry blenny and clownfish die recently the clownfish jumped out. Any reason why she could be this? Tank is 5 years old with three other fish they are healthy.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, post a 30 second video under white light and answer the following questions for the fish medics.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, Fish-only, Quarantine tank
Aquarium water volume
Filtration type
Lighting
How long has the aquarium been established?
Digital image of the whole aquarium under white light

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using, as well as the test kit brand)
Temperature
pH:
Salinity / specific gravity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphorus
Copper
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below)
Are any invertebrates affected?
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)
Are the affected fish still feeding?
What remedies have you tried so far?
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light -
- if needed, indicate by drawing a line around the area in question.
A short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well) - this is perhaps the best information that you can supply, as long as the video is clear.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, post a 30 second video under white light and answer the following questions for the fish medics.

Aquarium Parameters:
Aquarium type: Reef, Fish-only, Quarantine tank
Aquarium water volume
Filtration type
Lighting
How long has the aquarium been established?
Digital image of the whole aquarium under white light

Water quality (be sure to indicate what measurement units you are using, as well as the test kit brand)
Temperature
pH:
Salinity / specific gravity
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphorus
Copper
Other

In-depth information:
Have you lost any fish to this problem yet? (see below)
Are any invertebrates affected?
Respiration rate of affected fish (in gill beats per minutes, count for 15 seconds and multiply by 4)
Are the affected fish still feeding?
What remedies have you tried so far?
Digital image of the fish with the health issue, taken under white light -
- if needed, indicate by drawing a line around the area in question.
A short video of the fish (linked YouTube videos work well) - this is perhaps the best information that you can supply, as long as the video is clear.
I will count respirations soon no inverts are effected I have not lost a fish to this yet. Cannot test it will not come out of its hole to eat.

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will count respirations soon no inverts are effected I have not lost a fish to this yet. Cannot test it will not come out of its hole to eat.

Hopeful,y that vid will work counting respirations now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Hopeful,y that vid will work counting respirations now
The flash/light is covering the fish and can see nothing. If older fish, they will slightly fade. Need video as before under bright white intensity of at least 20 seconds

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The flash/light is covering the fish and can see nothing. If older fish, they will slightly fade. Need video as before under bright white intensity of at least 20 seconds
Ok I will check to see if she is still living this morning. I hope so..

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 the angelfish is alive! And it’s way better than last night breathing is back to normal color has returned and she is swimming normly again. Lights are still off she is at the bottom but I think she’s sleeping becuase don’t fish go into a trans? Well now that that’s over I need to focus on getting my nitrates down and my algae removed… I have 15 gallons of water right now I did a 5 gallon change yesterday and plan on doing another today do you think if I do 5 gallon changes everyday or so I can get my nitrates down?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081 bad news the fish is back to where it was. I will try to post a video under white light this is really weird. Can fish turn nocturnal?
Some fish thrive best under low light but you have to when this happen balance the light with coral lighting needs.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It’s on the side of my LPS hammer and duncan intensity is at 100 she won’t even come out to eat…
Try 80 which is still acceptable lighting with euphyllia coral. Assure also that is not the light , but can be flow and even intimidation by another fish

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try 80 which is still acceptable lighting with euphyllia coral. Assure also that is not the light , but can be flow and even intimidation by another fish
She’s been in a while.. just lost a clownfish and starry blenny have not changed flow. I want too becuase I have dead spots and I’m not sure how to fix that. Intimidation possibly by my marble wrasse but not sure. What should I do?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
She’s been in a while.. just lost a clownfish and starry blenny have not changed flow. I want too becuase I have dead spots and I’m not sure how to fix that. Intimidation possibly by my marble wrasse but not sure. What should I do?
Next time you feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 20 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time. Review the video and see if the wrasse is indeed an issue here

OP
OP
cdemoss01

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time you feed, set your cell phone on video mode for about 20 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time. Review the video and see if the wrasse is indeed an issue here
Ok will do. I will go get the video under white light for 20 seconds

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 109 29.2%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 154 41.3%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 94 25.2%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.3%
Back