*** Coral Growers Giveaway!! WIN a Calcium Reactor from Tunze!! ***

banik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: What methods do you use to prevent coral pests and diseases?
Reef primer followed by KFC. This is after an in tank cipro and amox treatment. The only other thing I do is manual removal of anything I see bad and getting a BVN for red planaria.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OFFICIAL ENTRY (must be done for the bonus entries to count): Answer this question:
"What has been the single best thing you've done to help boost coral growth in your tank?"

Careful dipping protocol has been the best thing for long term coral growth. Pests can reverse years of growth in a very short time. Those losses are crushing to the reefers morale.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bonus for being an R2R supporter!
Me TOO!

kyle mooney supporter GIF
:rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: :thinking-face: :cool:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: What has been your most rewarding accomplishment as a coral grower?
Trading stuff back in, or just giving it back to the LFS, sometimes for credit, other times just to make room. I gave a store a few buckets of coral a few weeks ago and I noticed today that they had fragged my Orange Ricordia rock and were offering singles for sale for $35.00 each. Those will be available for a long time to come as they multiply quickly once they get established in a tank.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: What is your favorite coral species to grow and why?
Historically I have a soft spot for Indo acros because they have so many colors and growth patterns, and once they are established they are highly desirable for trades to feed the addiction of reefing.

I am recovering from a few years of tank neglect and starting to mix in more acans and other LPS along with the Acros. Can't wait to see things start blossoming out again.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: What has been the best lighting setup you've used for growing corals? Why do you like this one?
Metal Halide Double Ended 250 watt Phoenix Hexarc Blue. The color was crisp daylight blue and very pleasing to look at. Corals grew like weeds and the colors were amazing to look at. Add Orange viewing glasses and i could stare at the tanks all day.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: How do you handle coral fragging in your tank? Are you a frequent fragger? Occasional fragger? Or only when you have to prune?
I like to let things grow and fill in an area. When things get too crowded I either yank a colony to make open space or prune stuff to keep them from fighting.

shcrimps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
official entry: best thing i’ve done was dose live phyto and AB+ the corals love it and the best thing i’ve been practicing for a while is keeping my hands out of the tank unless necessary

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAILY QUESTION: What is your approach to dosing calcium and alkalinity? Do you dose any other elements?
Once they are in balance I just test and adjust the output of the calcium reactor to keep it stable. Retest and dial in the flow of the dosing pumps and adjust as things grow and demand increases.

I test for magnesium and adjust that, and occasionally send off an ICP to make sure things are good. Change water if trace elements are too far out.

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 21.4%
Back