Coral recommendation

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, starting to plan first corals and would like recommendations of any that you’ve enjoyed! There’s a spot 1/3 of the way up the tank on a big flat rock plateau, hoping Par will be 150-250 there. What would grow flat(ish) and look good?

I’m thinking zoas but really don’t like the palytoxin thing…will go with something different if I can find something good. Montipora might do well but probably don’t have room for a plating coral. Mushrooms will be below.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want soft coral, zoas are a good choice, there are quite a few with really low levels of palytoxin. otherwise toadstools, or clove polyps.

lps: favia, favites, acan, hammers, trumpet coral, pectinia

sps: pavona, birds nest, there are various encrusting or branching montis like sunset or forest fire, pocilipora (or however it's spelled)

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do montis, zoas I still think are a good option. I could be wrong, but palys pose more of a threat with palytoxin than zoas do.

TinnysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some cool soft corals out there that could work. I love softies myself, and am paranoid about palytoxin too (tho I did cave and get the big giant palys I just kept it underwater as much as possible while placing and wore gloves).

I really like the different colour nepthea trees and cespitularia coral if you are going for a unique softie.

If you want something shorter to kind of fill out a ledge, I think a neon green cabbage would be cool. It'll form ruffles and lots of fish like to hide in them. My molly miller blenny has made a tuft her home in my tank :smiling-face:

Happy reefing!

PS - love Squirtle, that is my fav fish of all time. My guy is named Reginald.

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, zoas can contain small amounts of palytoxins, but as long as you're being careful, it shouldn't be a problem. I've also had some reservations about keeping them, but my dad kept zoas and palys religiously, fragging them and everything, and he was always fine. I just always wear gloves when messing with mine, and keep them submerged in water.

Besides zoas, I'm always team toadstool. Toadstools are hardy, and fast-growing in my experience. They're my favorite!

OP
OP
aztoza

aztoza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some cool soft corals out there that could work. I love softies myself, and am paranoid about palytoxin too (tho I did cave and get the big giant palys I just kept it underwater as much as possible while placing and wore gloves).

I really like the different colour nepthea trees and cespitularia coral if you are going for a unique softie.

If you want something shorter to kind of fill out a ledge, I think a neon green cabbage would be cool. It'll form ruffles and lots of fish like to hide in them. My molly miller blenny has made a tuft her home in my tank :smiling-face:

Happy reefing!

PS - love Squirtle, that is my fav fish of all time. My guy is named Reginald.
I do like that cabbage, sort of flat but still has shape. Thanks!
Haha we like this fish too, big personality.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back