Corals clossd

mw892017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello
My tank is 4 months old and I added two corals.

A gsp frag and a zoa frag.

Both were open and doing fine for around a month. Over the last week both of them have closed.

I have tested my parameters and are fine. Apart from an ugly stage which seems to be lasting forever nothing seems to be off.

I’m really struggling with this tank atm and I’m ready to give up!!

IMG_0600.jpeg IMG_0599.jpeg

OP
OP
mw892017

mw892017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0

Nitrate and phosphate 0 which I know is low that’s why well I’ve been told I’m struggling with algae. I don’t test alkalinity and calcium as I’m new to this hobby and was told by my lfs which is fantastic tbh weekly water changes would be enough for softies as I didn’t want to dose

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to get yourself a small powerhead to add in the tank, it sounds like your tank is very low flow. Algae growing on the sand is a sure sign of low flow. Even zoa's need some amount of flow to shed their outer mucus layer, and algae loves low flow.

Its not nitrates and phosphates that feed algae, its dissolved organics which we can't measure for, so don't overfeed the fish. Feed small amounts several times a day, but letting food decompose in the water is the major source of algae, and the low flow helps it take over the tank.

If you want corals to be healthy then you will need good quality test kits, not API. Its the only way we have of knowing about your water quality. Not so important for zoa's and gsp, I understand your only starting and probably just testing it out, but if you want to start keeping nicer corals, you will need the test kits.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first year is one thing after another, you're right about that. But as you go along and fix all these things one at time, you learn each time and it does get easier.

Right now your tank is starting what we call "the ugly phase", there is not enough biodiversity, or healthy bacteria, in your tank yet to fight off algae's and bad bad bacteria's. It takes a few months to ride out the uglies by maintaining good habits with feeding and water changes and controlling the nitrate and phosphate.

We've all been there so feel free to ask questions anytime, or even just to rant. After the first year it does get easier.

OP
OP
mw892017

mw892017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thank you. This week there’s been times where I have thought about giving up. But after a visit to my lfs seeing his amazing tanks pushes me to carry on.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 112 28.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 160 41.3%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 98 25.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 17 4.4%
Back