Rating - 100%
1   0   0

kingranch2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You read that right! After talking about it for over a year now, Crabs is finally making the upgrade to a 75! I love my 40 breeder, but i'm constrained by space and the fish I can stock. I really enjoy the depth that a 40 breeder has, and a 75 is a foot longer and a bit taller.
Let me preface this buy informing right out the gate that this is going to be an extremely slow build. I'm technically not allowed to set up this new tank until we move into our new house. (we haven't even found a house we like yet or put our current one on the market...to give you some sort of time frame ;) ) But I'll be gathering up parts, and prepping the tank for moving day!
So come along on my next step in my reefing journey won't you?

So here's my plan in a nutshell;
Going to pursue a bare bottom tank. All new dry rock with a little of the live rock from my current tank to seed it.
I'm going to transfer my coral from the 40 to the 75. But i'm going to do it as frags or small colonies. I'm going to be very perticular about coral placement this time around. I'm having issues in my current tank with corals running into eachother and fighting. Specifically my mushrooms killing the base encrusing parts of my acros and mille's. I will not be transfering any mushrooms and potentially any zoanthids.

I've landed on a 75 gallon reef ready that my "local" fish store (60 miles away) has on sale right now. I've never done "reef ready" and always done either hang on back overflow or drilled my own. So i'm excited to try a tank that is already drilled and ready to go, just needs to be plumbed.

Most of my equipment is already set for a larger tank. My skimmer is rated for 100 gallons, my sump and heater should be good to go as well. Just have to re-plum it.

I will likely be building my own stand with the help of my uncle who does wood working.

No pictures yet. I'm driving down friday afternoon to pick up the tank.

I'm super excited and I hope you are too :D :D
Good luck to you! Sounds exciting to me. I was wondering, as a new reefer interested in mushrooms, are they all that invasive? Do some tend to stay in check a little better?

OP
OP
Crabs McJones

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to you! Sounds exciting to me. I was wondering, as a new reefer interested in mushrooms, are they all that invasive? Do some tend to stay in check a little better?
Well, tanks been taken down and gone for a long time now. But in my experience I had red and blue mushrooms, they spread like wildfire. Had to trim them back every once and a while from smothering my sps on top of the rock

kingranch2003

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, tanks been taken down and gone for a long time now. But in my experience I had red and blue mushrooms, they spread like wildfire. Had to trim them back every once and a while from smothering my sps on top of the rock
Yeah that's certainly not ideal. Well, I appreciate you sharing your experience. Looks like I'll definitely have to consider my placement carefully if I go with mushrooms

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back