Curing Dry Marco Rock Pre-tank cycle

Reefstudent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a new build for a 83 gallon tank in about 15-20 days. I will be using 60ish pounds of dry Marco rock with (minimalist aquascape) with a seeding of 8lbs of live rock (Tampa Bay Saltwater or similar) in the sump.

Question I have is in relation to pre-treating or cleaning the marco rock before begin the tank cycle.

My plan is to put the marco rock in RODI water (no salt) in a large container with flow (mp40 or similar) in a dark environment and soak the marco water for 7-10 days and do a few 25% water changes throughout the period as pre-treatment/cleaning before putting the marco rock into the tank.

My thesis is this will allow the dry rock to soak and to clean before adding to the tank/cycle.

Second question is: would it be beneficial/accellerated cycling if I add water and sand (figi pink 60%/mix with 40% special grade) and live rock (sump) and run that for a week then add cured dry rock?

Possibly the last step is not necessary.

Any quick thoughts/experience with marco rock treatment pre-cycle would be appreciated.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pre-soaking the dry rock can help by getting rid of dust/debris, waterlogging it so it doesn't release air in your display, and potentially leaching out some of the phosphate that may or may not be present. Not necessary, but can't hurt.

As far as adding live rock to the sump and sand to the display while you soak the dry rock, go right ahead, again this can't hurt. Your cycle will be live as soon as you add the live rock, so you can add an ammonia source and test to see how the live rock handles it. Once you add the dry rock, the live rock will slowly seed the dry rock with beneficial bactera.

OP
OP
R

Reefstudent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @TX_REEF what are your thoughts on my plan for just an RODI soak in lieu of an RODI + salt soak. Again the goal is for dust/debri/water logging.. Any added benefits or general thoughts as to why salt/no salt would be preferred?

This pre-soak is not much skin off my back as I can't begin my tank cycle for about 15-20 days do to personal obligations.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 50 33.3%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 70 46.7%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 31 20.7%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 35 23.3%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 18 12.0%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 38 25.3%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back