Cyphastrea - Whats your experience with having this coral?

VirginiaReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef tank. Is Cyphastrea as low light loving as i read online in your experience? i wanted to get a few to add to my tank and it definitely seems like one of the easier SPS corals out there to keep. TIA! Picture for some love and attention

cyphastrea.PNG

Charlie the Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey.. I have like 6 dif cyphastreas. For me, this coral has been very easy compared to all other SPS, even easier than the hearty plating monti caps everyone has. Mine seem to be doing the best in medium flow, medium light. I do happen to have some cyphastreas getting blasted with 300+ par doing just fine though. I also have cyphastreas sitting in like 50 par doing great.

To me some of the color morphs of cyphastrea are really under rated and beautiful looking. This one I glued on my back wall, yellow polyps with blue skin has an awesome contrast to the rest of the tank, I can see it from my kitchen 35 feet away from the tank, very striking. You can also see a green cyphastrea just to the left of it. Also pictured are some stylos.

1718817157146.png

1718817303488.png

Overall, to be honest its arguably the easiest coral in my tank, easier than hammers and duncans. Never showing any issues. I think part of the success of my colonies are that they are glued to the wall so stay in one place no matter what.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have 8 Cyphastrea varieties in my tank in various lighting and flow spots. Generally, I think they grow pretty much anywhere, but I primarily use them to fill the lower areas of my tank.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not exactly sure where the low light recommendations came from with these corals? My sand bed bangs over 3 and this poor guy has been thrown all over the tank. Definitely a hardy coral that stands out amongst its high class neighbors. IMG_0574.jpg

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will grow pretty much anywhere to be honest. Mine is up high in middle of tank and grows crazy. Color will shift depending on light tho. My meteor shower looks more grey than blue up in higher light. And if you have an angel fish their polyps will never come out. Super annoying

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I was thinking about doing as well. Was wondering if it would work or if they would cling to the glass.

I had a meteor shower on my barebottom and literally had to chisel it off the glass when I redid the tank. I thought I was going to break the glass trying to get it off.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back