Dialing In Klir Filter Roller

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody have any brilliance that I might be overlooking in how to dial in the Klir Filter Roller v2 with the optical sensor that magnetically mounts in to the sump? I have a Cade Reef 1500 S2, and the way they built their sump there is not a lot of water height difference between 'normal' thru the filter roller (or original socks) and the height of the overflow opening. I have been moving the optical eye as carefully as possible, but I can't seem to get it dialed in. It either doesn't run at all, or it runs through an entire roll in a day. I move it just the *tinnnnnniest* bit down and let it sit for a week or two to see if it moves (I draw a line on the unused roll with a marker) and if it doesn't move in 7-14 days I slide it down the *tinnnnnnnniest* bit again and then boom, next afternoon the roll is empty.

Does anybody make a 3d printed mount for this thing with a screw thread so you can adjust it in microincrements? Am I doing something wrong?

SPSReeferMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for a while and I found that the optical sensor on there was quite sensitive and error prone. Mind got stuck on often.

What I did to correct it was to use an Apex with an optical sensor. The optical sensor would only turn on an outlet every hour AND when the water was over the sensor. The Klir would be plugged directly into that outlet. I only let it run for 30 seconds (that amount of time worked for the Klir to advance the roll, but no further than needed). With another optical sensor (any will work if they can control an outlet) you can mount it much higher depending on your sump situation.

Hopefully this makes sense.

OP
OP
Adalius

Adalius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used one for a while and I found that the optical sensor on there was quite sensitive and error prone. Mind got stuck on often.

What I did to correct it was to use an Apex with an optical sensor. The optical sensor would only turn on an outlet every hour AND when the water was over the sensor. The Klir would be plugged directly into that outlet. I only let it run for 30 seconds (that amount of time worked for the Klir to advance the roll, but no further than needed). With another optical sensor (any will work if they can control an outlet) you can mount it much higher depending on your sump situation.

Hopefully this makes sense.
It does, and that was an option I was considering. I run two rollers in a single sump on a shared optical right now.

I think if I silicone a piece of glass over the overflow to raise the height (presuming the end-overflow doesn't limit me) that will buy me more room to work with too. Right now the cutout I think is only about 1/8-1/4 above the sock holder itself, so not a lot of room for it to 'build up' on a clogged roller.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER HAD A NIGHTMARE ABOUT YOUR TANK? SHARE YOUR DREAM IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 33 58.9%
  • No.

Votes: 23 41.1%
  • Other (Please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back