did electric blue hermit crab have problem with nassarius snail?

superpesuke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now i have electric blue hermit crab in my tank,and i decision to put nassarius snail in tank,
but i found some forum told hermit crab will attack nassarius snail,
or some time nassarius snail will attack hermit crab when their molt.
but i can't find in case with electric blue hermit crab, which is peaceful
have some people put both of them in the same tank?
their have any problem?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several varieties of smaller hermits and two varieties of Nassarius snails, as well as other snails in two small 15 and 10 gallon tanks, and largely there's no problems. I've never heard of a Nessarius snail taking down a healthy hermit, but I guess during the molt it may be possible. More likely, the hermit was already dead when someone noticed the snail feeding on the dead hermit.

Hermit crabs of almost all varieties can and will kill snails for food and for their shells, so keep the hermits well fed and provide them with a variety of empty shells to switch into, and for the most part they will leave your snails alone.

I'll add that I'm sure A LOT of reefers here are keeping hermits, including Electric Blue, Halloween Hermits, and other larger hermits with snails, without too many problems. But no one can predict livestock compatibility 100% of the time, crazy things do happen.

Over time, you're going to lose members of your clean up crew for a variety of reasons. A lot of members here like to use ReefCleaners.org to replace clean up crew members periodically. They have good prices, they ship *most* critters by inexpensive USPS Priority Mail, and have great customer service.

Good luck with your hermit and your snails!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both hermits and nassasius snails in my tank, they all leave each other alone. The nass will not attack a live animal, its a scavenger. The hermit is far too slow to catch a nass snail. If you lose one or the other it will be coincidence, I would not believe one is attacking the other.

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius are scavengers, if its already dead they'll eat. Never seen one be predatory to something that wasn't already on its way out.

There is the possibility a 'bad nassarius' caused nassarius as a whole to take the blame for killing something, cause its very common for whelks and related to get mixed in with how hard it is to distinguish them. Idk if whelks would actually bother a hermit though, usually its the other way around as hermits will kill snails for their shells if its suitable enough and no easier alternatives.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now i have electric blue hermit crab in my tank,and i decision to put nassarius snail in tank,
but i found some forum told hermit crab will attack nassarius snail,
or some time nassarius snail will attack hermit crab when their molt.
but i can't find in case with electric blue hermit crab, which is peaceful
have some people put both of them in the same tank?
their have any problem?
Crabs eat what they can catch.

Back