Difference in Preference: Do you prefer bigger or smaller tanks? Why?

Do you prefer bigger tanks or smaller tanks? Why?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 71 74.0%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 12 12.5%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Differences in opinion and preference are what make the world go round, and they make our reefing world go round, too! We've had discussions on which tanks, bigger or smaller, are easier to keep, but let's set that aside and discuss which tanks you prefer to keep. Easier doesn't always = better...

Do you prefer bigger tanks or smaller tanks? Why?

Killing Eve Fish GIF by BBC America

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had everything from 16 gallons to 90 gallons and I feel that the 90 is a really nice size. I call it a “little big” tank. So I’d say bigger but I’ve also enjoyed the others. I don’t really include the 16 because it felt cramped quickly and moved into a 30 within a month and a half or so. Then into 60 after a little over a year. All my tanks have AIO and the 30 and 60 were IM tanks.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel that my 120gal is a bit small. There are a lot of interesting fauna I'd like to keep that simply won't fit. If we are discounting the cost/complexity of keeping a monster tank, then I feel is better.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I always say bigger is better. I have room always for fish and coral and I feel it has always been less maintenance for me as it takes longer for nitrates, phosphates and other levels to build up and I do minimal water changes which resorts to me changing filter socks, cleaning the algae scrubber once a month and skimmer unit as needed.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
honestly i chose bigger = better; but after tearing down my 40B i would be against having a bigger tank for how tedious it was to take everything apart/down.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like smaller tanks, each one I've ever had was different from all the others. I like trying to create different habitats with different animals in each, that otherwise could not exist together in the same tank. I would be bored with just one tank.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think any size tank can be awesome. It comes down to the personal choices of the livestock and whether the maintenance is being done. Each size tank has it’s own perks and challenges, and there is no one size fits all.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger until I have to clean them.
Having to reach across my flat tank has become a challenge as age cripples up my spine and I don't like to snorkel at home anymore.
Monterey Bay Aquarium is such a lovely exhibit size, but I am not quite rich enough to afford one of those and the diving crew to wipe down the acrylic each morning.

I think coral bowls that can be 100% cleaned with a 5 gallon bucket of water and less than an hour of time are really starting to look good now, and an interesting challenge too.

Good Morning Kiss GIF

And nothing says how much I like my aquarium like a kitten GIF.

:cool:

ALittleFishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was going with a box of colorful sticks, I think any tank that could hold the growth would be perfect. I really love the fish more than the corals, so bigger is better for my wants. There is nothing more impressive than a huge butt box of water and fish.

I started back in the early '00s with a Oceanic 140, then was out of the hobby for a year or two, then decided on an Aquapod 24 with 2-3 nano fish and modded lighting and filtration. Upgraded to a standard 55 in the late '00s and it was great until the ex lost her crap one day bc the skimmer smelled a little when I opened the stand door. I stayed out of the hobby until 2 years ago when I got back in with a 60 breeder and and a 29 sump. It was the perfect size for me until my 2-3inch long fishes started GROWING...quickly. My Masked Spinefoot went from 2ish inches to nearly 5 in a few months...my wrasses too...thats about the time I found out my cute little white wrasse with black spots was likely going to be much too long for my 60...google twinspot wrasse. So I found Big Fish CAA in ATL and they built a 96x24x24 for me and now everyone is happy...except my PBrT:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:.

20240831_201839.jpg

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

War & Peace comment - I was bored happy reading:)

Small vs. Large Reef Tanks: A Practical Comparison

Reef-keeping comes with various tank sizes, each with its own benefits and challenges. Whether you're considering a small (below 50 gallons) or large tank, your experience will vary significantly depending on tank size. Here's a breakdown:

1. Small Tanks: Compact and Manageable

Small tanks (under 50 gallons) are popular among hobbyists, offering a vibrant, beautiful setup in a compact space. However, they come with distinct challenges.

Pros of Small Tanks:​

• Lower Costs: Equipment, salt mix, and energy consumption are cheaper than with larger tanks.
  • Quick Setup: Smaller tanks take less time to set up, cycle, and maintain.
  • Space-Saving: Ideal for apartments, offices, or homes where space is limited.

Cons of Small Tanks:​

• Rapid Parameter Swings: Even small changes in salinity, temperature, or pH can lead to quick, unpredictable shifts in a small tank. This increases the risk of a tank crash.
  • High Maintenance: Regular water changes and frequent testing are necessary to maintain stable water quality.
  • Limited Stocking Options: Smaller fish species are a must, and the bioload must be tightly controlled to avoid overwhelming the filtration system.

Risk of Burnout:​

Many new hobbyists start with small tanks due to budget and space constraints but may get frustrated with the rapid swings in water quality and the constant vigilance needed to prevent crashes, leading some to leave the hobby early.

2. Large Tanks: Stability and Flexibility

Large tanks (over 100 gallons) offer greater stability and more creative freedom, but they come at a higher cost and with more planning requirements.

Pros of Large Tanks:​

• Stability: Larger water volumes buffer changes in salinity, pH, and temperature, giving you more time to react to problems.
  • More Stocking Options: Larger tanks allow for more fish and corals, including species that require more space.
  • Less Frequent Maintenance: Although water changes involve larger volumes, they can be done less frequently, and minor mistakes are less likely to cause crashes.

Cons of Large Tanks:​

• Higher Costs: Equipment, water changes, and energy consumption are all more expensive.
  • More Space and Planning: Large tanks require more physical space, stronger equipment (such as bigger skimmers or sumps), and careful placement to ensure structural support.

3. My Take: "Go Big or Go Home"

Experienced reefers often advocate for large tanks because of their stability and flexibility. Those with a deep understanding of water chemistry, proper equipment use, and livestock compatibility can thrive in both small and large systems, but for beginners, the potential for rapid parameter swings in small tanks is a risk. It's important to set expectations properly and provide tools and knowledge for success in either setup.

Conclusion: Choose Based on Your Situation

Both small and large tanks have their advantages and challenges. New hobbyists may find smaller tanks appealing due to lower costs but should be aware of the higher risk of water parameter swings. Experienced reefers often prefer larger tanks for their stability and flexibility. Ultimately, choose based on your experience, budget, and goals.

In the end, while the phrase "go big or go home" might resonate with experienced reefers, success is possible at any size if you have the right approach and understanding of the hobby.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked other, I haven't had a larger tank yet, only my 25 gallon. I feel like both have their own strengths and weaknesses. I feel like it would be harder to notice all the small stuff you can in a nano tank, with a larger one

Laughterman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had experiences with both big and small tanks and I prefer the small tanks. Easy with maintanance and also cheap to run. I have a 60cm tank 50cm high and I love that tank. Low maintanance tank with softies and leathers. I actually got rid of the 1.5 meter tank and just love how easy life has become since I got rid of it.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back