Dinos, cyano, diatoms, hair algae?

michaelzoellner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a new tank, and about 2.5 weeks in, started noticing what I believe is dinos. The algae started on the live rocks, but eventually moved onto the sand as well. The substance is a film that covers the rock, and has long hairy strands. Bubbles collect to the ends of the substance, and disappear by morning along with many of the strands

Decided to scrub the substance off of the rocks in a separate bucket, but within 2 days the substance has quickly regrown to the same amount of coverage it was pre-scrub

Tank setup: 7/14/24

Tank parameters:
Salinity: 1.025
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
Phosphate: 0.03
Calcium: 440
Magnesium: 1470
Alkalinity: 8.0

Some pre-scrub pictures:

IMG_3824.jpeg
IMG_3816.jpeg

And post-scrub pictures:
IMG_3930.jpeg

IMG_3931.jpeg

IMG_3926.jpeg

Looking for an ID on what is in my tank, and if Dinos, should I do a 3 day blackout?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your description sounds like dino, but the photos look more like cyano to me. Could also be both. Cyano usually clears up with changes to nutrients and increased flow. If it is dino, I suggest checking out this article: Dino Treatment Guide.

It is a little more complex than just doing a blackout depending on the species you have.

OP
OP
M

michaelzoellner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your description sounds like dino, but the photos look more like cyano to me. Could also be both. Cyano usually clears up with changes to nutrients and increased flow. If it is dino, I suggest checking out this article: Dino Treatment Guide.

It is a little more complex than just doing a blackout depending on the species you have.
Thanks for the link! The second post-scrub photo with the brighter red areas does look more like cyano

BATTLE OF THE INVERTS: STARFISH OR SEA URCHINS? SHARE A PICTURE OF YOUR LITTLE INVERTS!

• Starfish!

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Sea Urchins!

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • There is no way I can choose...

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (please explain!).

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back