DIY Ammonia dosing for low nitrate systems

Tuna Melt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to get RTN when dosing nitrate. I tried switching from Sodium to Potassium Nitrate (USP) and then to AF N Boost with no success.

So far ammonia dosing has helped tremendously. I did loose a red dragon but it was due to a dino outbreak. I've been dosing 0.2ppm, which is enough to keep my nitrates at 2.5-5ppm and my PO4 at 0.03.
Good to hear!! I'd love to be able to increase N availability in my system but every time I add nitrates I get RTN! I'll give ammonia a shot.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonium chloride 99.9% pure has clumps. Are the clumps still good to use to make a stock solution or should I use the unclumped portion?

I want to know if moisture causes the ammonium to evaporate?

image.jpg
image.jpg

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t 99.9% a good grade?

Eh, I decided I’d rather use ammonium bicarbonate. I just ordered this food grade with no purity rating. I think it’s good.

it may be fine. The problem is not knowing what the impurities are. Food grade checks metal impurities such as lead.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it may be fine. The problem is not knowing what the impurities are. Food grade checks metal impurities such as lead.
Thank you.

Do you know the difference between ammonium vs amino acid dosing? What does amino acids accomplish that ammonia can’t and vice versa?

Are there benefits of amino acids beyond a nitrogen source?

ReeferZ1227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Do you know the difference between ammonium vs amino acid dosing? What does amino acids accomplish that ammonia can’t and vice versa?

If you read the first 10 pages or so, there's discussion around the possible benefits of ammonium dosing. If the ammonia is available to the coral it's easier for the coral to use the ammonia for energy. The unknown is if it's converted to nitrate before it's available to the coral, if it is, the coral just uses the nitrate. I think that's all there is to it.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

Amino acids may drive some extra bacterial growth that ammonia does not, since it provides organic carbon.

I have see no clear evidence relating to the pros and cans of each.

East1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amino acids may drive some extra bacterial growth that ammonia does not, since it provides organic carbon.

I have see no clear evidence relating to the pros and cans of each.

I vaguely recall some literature indicating that ammonia uptake will cause a coral preference for uptake of ammonia and not amino acids, though in my coral tanks I dose both ammonia and amino acids on a schedule.

Since switching from nitrate to ammonium I've noticed that the previously high levels of dosing aminos now cause nuisance algae and bacterial growth on the glass, and so I now dose less.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix vinegar with the ammonium bicarbonate solution? I manually dose both at the same time and I want to know if I can use the same beaker to measure both of the volumes to hand dose.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I mix vinegar with the ammonium bicarbonate solution? I manually dose both at the same time and I want to know if I can use the same beaker to measure both of the volumes to hand dose.
Mixing them will bubble off CO2 and effectively make ammonium acetate, which is fine and will work the same.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 28.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 38 21.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 62 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back