DIY Refractometer Calibration Fluid help

Mhoover1481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to Reef2Reef, I hope I’m doing this right!
I am having salinity issues after being in the hobby for about a year now.
My refractometer’s (new and old) are reading wonky. And I have calibrated with 35ppt solution from BRS and AccuraSea, different readings from Both and NOT 35 ppt.

I am reading up on Randy Holmes diy solution using NaCl and purified water.

I have the tools and supplies to make this solution, but I’m trying to understand the science.

In theory, if I do his recipe, the NaCl fluid reading should be 1.3394 on the refractometer, and that equates to 35 ppt seawater, right?

So, I should make his calibration fluid, put it on the refractometer, if it says 1.3394 ish, I should calibrate my refractometer to 35ppt and then I should be getting accurate readings?

I’m having some trouble understanding

Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most hobby refractometers do not have a refractive index scale on them, but if it does, yes, do that. If not, then calibrate it to read 35 ppt or sg = 1.0264. All are equally suitable.

OP
OP
M

Mhoover1481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most hobby refractometers do not have a refractive index scale on them, but if it does, yes, do that. If not, then calibrate it to read 35 ppt or sg = 1.0264. All are equally suitable.
Okay awesome! So in conclusion, (if) I created the solution exactly as stated in your article, I should be good to drop it on the refractometer and calibrate straight to 1.0264 or 35ppt and assume it’s accurate or very close?

Thanks again Randy, I’m so thankful for your help and insight!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay awesome! So in conclusion, (if) I created the solution exactly as stated in your article, I should be good to drop it on the refractometer and calibrate straight to 1.0264 or 35ppt and assume it’s accurate or very close?

Thanks again Randy, I’m so thankful for your help and insight!

Yes, that’s its intended use. :)

Jburak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,

When you say purified water does it matter if it's distilled, RODI or just DI water?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back