Do I need to run my skimmer?

Ironclad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer but have not run it in a week. My nitrate is 1 and phosphate is at .3. I would rather my nitrates be a little higher than that but just wanted to make sure there wasn't a reason that I should run the skimmer for anything other than nutrient control.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmers also provide additional aeration/O2 exchange. If you have sufficient water movement/surface breakage with powerheads, you have nothing to worry about.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can run it so that it isn't collecting anything (by adjusting its settings) and keeping it on for oxygenation.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I run my skimmers. Works great on my three tanks ;)
PXL_20240522_134938315.jpg

OP
OP
I

Ironclad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL yeah, I hadn't thought of that. I am not concerned about oxygenation. I have tons of surface movement. I also have a fuge to help me with the ph. Eh, I may run it just because it can't hurt. Thanks guys!

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering obtaining a used skimmer just to run it purely for gas exchange. Plus I'll be one of the cool kids :cool:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm considering obtaining a used skimmer just to run it purely for gas exchange. Plus I'll be one of the cool kids :cool:

I feel my skimmer provides valuable surface area for beneficial bacteria. Am I using it wrong ?

Maybe I should add another in case I need to seed another tank

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel my skimmer provides valuable surface area for beneficial bacteria. Am I using it wrong ?

Maybe I should add another in case I need to seed another tank
I thought it wasn't running like the other you replied too. Are my eyes that bad :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought it wasn't running like the other you replied too. Are my eyes that bad :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

lol it’s unplugged. It’s essential a non porous piece of live rock.

I plugged it in for a few days after a chemiclean dosing, but other than that it’s been unplugged for 2 years. I just leave it in the sump in case I need it

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol it’s unplugged. It’s essential a non porous piece of live rock.

I plugged it in for a few days after a chemiclean dosing, but other than that it’s been unplugged for 2 years. I just leave it in the sump in case I need it
Fair to say you get all the needed gas exchange from your scrubber? Have a DO meter and plan on testing with lights on and off to see how my oxygen levels run. PH will let me know how effective on co2. Might not need that skimmer after all. Fingers crossed.

william Lutman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a skimmer but have not run it in a week. My nitrate is 1 and phosphate is at .3. I would rather my nitrates be a little higher than that but just wanted to make sure there wasn't a reason that I should run the skimmer for anything other than nutrient control.
Skimmers are also added level of security. I have had a active skimmer suddenly pull out a mountain of snot when I had a side issue in the tank. I try and run a skimmer rated 2-3 times the system volume.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fair to say you get all the needed gas exchange from your scrubber? Have a DO meter and plan on testing with lights on and off to see how my oxygen levels run. PH will let me know how effective on co2. Might not need that skimmer after all. Fingers crossed.

Between my scrubber and typical overflow, rear open cabinet, and weirs in my sump I feel do. I have a solid lid but had a a few rows of holes added to give some ventilation as well

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will add my scrubber may be better at this than others because it’s driven by air. A dual outlet air pump is running 24x7 to provide current in/out of the scrubber and to oxygenate the growing chamber directly

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 72 26.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 117 43.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 65 24.3%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.2%
Back