Do my corals need less light?

Chris H Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I have a variety of Zoas, a Xenia, gsp, Kenya tree, leather mushroom, and hammer coral in my 75 gal tank.

They’re doing pretty well but they aren’t reaching out quite as far as they were in the fish store (I’ve had them in my tank now for months). My nutrients are good, I perform water changes and dose K and A elements daily. Could they not be reaching as far because my lights are turned up too strong?

My hammer coral looked like it was bleaching so for a week so I tried increasing the lighting intensity. Nothing happened to the hammer but the leather stopped reaching out until I lessened the lights back down.

My though it maybe if I lower the lights even more the corals might reach out more? What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Unfortunately I don’t know PAR, I’m just adjusting and seeing how my corals react.

OP
OP
Chris H Reef

Chris H Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in your tank? Were the coral ever fully extended?
they’ve been in there for probably 2-4 months depending on the coral.

Yes, they looked like they extended further when I bough them at.

They all look healthy (except for the hammer) I just wonder if they could reach like they did at the fish store if I lower the light intensity.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting and intensity? Pics of the corals will help too.

Coral bleaching happens overnight or over 2 days, not over a week. Lets find out whats going on with your coral. Can you share the tank parameters.

OP
OP
Chris H Reef

Chris H Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of lighting and intensity? Pics of the corals will help too.

Coral bleaching happens overnight or over 2 days, not over a week. Let’s find out whats going on with your coral. Can you share the tank parameters.
1.026 sal
Ph: 8.2
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

I have 2 150w Nicrew reef tank lights running at 45% white and 65% blue for about 9 hours a day.

OP
OP
Chris H Reef

Chris H Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.026 sal
Ph: 8.2
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0

I have 2 150w Nicrew reef tank lights running at 45% white and 65% blue for about 9 hours a day.

It’s hard to get good pics hahaha. Here’s a few of them under white light

Attachments

• IMG_2713.jpeg
    IMG_2713.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2712.jpeg
    IMG_2712.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2711.jpeg
    IMG_2711.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 12

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO those are good lights for that size tank, and I think you have them at a good intensity. Personally I don't think the lights are too bright. But IDK, lets see what others say.

How is the flow? I see a huge low-flow spot behind your hammer with algae growing on the sand. Leathers especially like flow.

OP
OP
Chris H Reef

Chris H Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO those are good lights for that size tank, and I think you have them at a good intensity. Personally I don't think the lights are too bright. But IDK, lets see what others say.

How is the flow? I see a huge low-flow spot behind your hammer with algae growing on the sand. Leathers especially like flow.
I have 2 power heads in there (can’t remember the gpm) but I do see what you’re saying, neither of them are hitting the mushroom or hammer directly.

OP
OP
Chris H Reef

Chris H Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lavey29 and @Mr. Mojo Rising do you think there’s a downside to messing with my lights?

I want to try lowering the white and upping the blue but am worried it could shock my corals.
I set them to 25% white and 75% blue. I’ll run them like this for a few days and monitor the corals.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back