Do you actually QT or treat without symptoms?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen the protocol on here, a few videos, and such suggest preventative treatments. And my LFSs suggest only if you see issues.

Genuinely curious how many treat new fish who aren’t showing symptoms in the first week, and your qt process?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed this for 4 decades.
I don’t treat with anything unless I have good reason to. Plus, in Canada, we are very limited to access the good meds anyways so not much choice.

In all that time I’ve had to treat ick twice.

My QT is glass, saltwater, heater, light, homes.
In 30 days, if there is no sign of anything and eat very well, in they go.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have followed this for 4 decades.
I don’t treat with anything unless I have good reason to. Plus, in Canada, we are very limited to access the good meds anyways so not much choice.

In all that time I’ve had to treat ick twice.

My QT is glass, saltwater, heater, light, homes.
In 30 days, if there is no sign of anything and eat very well, in they go.
Thanks for the reply, it’s nice to hear actual experiences. So you do a 30 day observation for any new fish?

We’re trying to do everything right and I swear my family thinks I’m nuts.. they’re like you got an aquarium, for your aquarium? Haha

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally quarantine all fish going into my displays using the Humblefish HTTM method. Some people say that it is stressful for the fish to transfer tanks multiple times but personally, I feel better knowing that I’m hopefully not going to kill off all the others in my display if something bad was to show up.

Httm uses tank transfers, 2 baths of hydrogen peroxide and 2 doses of general cure.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are lots of different methods people use. The one recommended by @Jay Hemdal comes from many years of experience while running public aquariums. He has found this method to be the most safe and effective way to guarantee the best outcome.

While you will find many answers, it's hard to find anyone with more experience on the subject.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, it’s nice to hear actual experiences. So you do a 30 day observation for any new fish?

We’re trying to do everything right and I swear my family thinks I’m nuts.. they’re like you got an aquarium, for your aquarium? Haha
Yup. Except mandarins, they are less risky for disease and need to get eating quickly.

I keep 1 -20g QT going during the 30 days, then dry it.

I’m ok with some risk, over years, a few have died in QT. Have no ideas why. I just replace them.

I would kill them. I’d make a lousy doctor.

Full QT is obviously best, but by how much, I don’t know. All my fish I pick myself after 2 week LFS watch. I’d likely take more caution if fish is shipped.

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally quarantine all fish going into my displays using the Humblefish HTTM method. Some people say that it is stressful for the fish to transfer tanks multiple times but personally, I feel better knowing that I’m hopefully not going to kill off all the others in my display if something bad was to show up.

Httm uses tank transfers, 2 baths of hydrogen peroxide and 2 doses of general cure.
I would like to add, that the basic use of meds in this method does not treat everything and if something shows up, a change of action may be necessary.

astrobuckeye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only doing observation but I'm also only buying captive bred fish direct from the facility so no exposure to wild caught.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped treating a few years ago unless symptoms are observed. I do observation only now. I've had too many fish die in QT for unknown reasons.
same here, but I do have a QT tank, inch has wiped me out at least 3X
I dunno, not all fish do well in QT

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same here, but I do have a QT tank, inch has wiped me out at least 3X
I dunno, not all fish do well in QT
Alway try to be prepared. I can get one up and running instantly. I keep a 100g stock tank running full of rock with some coral and nems I can pull from. Knock on wood I've been lucky after dealing with velvet a few years ago. It's actually when I bought the stock tank so I could treat the fish while the DT was fallow. I'll never buy fish from a low salinity tank again.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen the protocol on here, a few videos, and such suggest preventative treatments. And my LFSs suggest only if you see issues.

Genuinely curious how many treat new fish who aren’t showing symptoms in the first week, and your qt process?

I ALWAYS treat prophylactically for the most common parasites; Ich, Velvet and flukes. Ich and flukes, in particular, can easily evade notice as a chronic infection, later taking that into your DT, with disastrous results.

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never used to do anything. When I setup my current tank I decided to qt with observation only until I had something wipe out every fish in my DT except for 1 wrasse. Since then I follow the QT protocol mentioned above that Jay developed. I do copper power and after 30 days of that Prazipro (I think that's the protocol).

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also do not QT or medicate. I bought a purple tang about 5 years ago from my LFS. It had BAD hlle and ich and was waiting to die. They sold him to me at 50% off (LOL)

I fed him as much as he would eat for days and he cured right up. He’s a beautiful part of the tank now.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back