Do you ever have issues keeping specific coral?

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to see if you have a specific coral that is hard to keep in your tank. Maybe acros are hard to keep for you, or you have never had a good experience with torches in your tank. Let's discuss those corals that are just stubborn in your tank! Photo Credit: @Jack Ravensbergen
fish 1.jpeg

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unpopular opinion but I can’t get pulsing xenia to live for more than a month in my tank, placed it in all sorts of flow and different spots of the tank, meanwhile my LPS, other Softies, and 1 montipira are all showing nice growth. I will never understand.

Tommy B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alveopora is ok but doesn't seem like its thriving, I'm going to try and move it to a slightly different spot and see what happens

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious to see if you have a specific coral that is hard to keep in your tank. Maybe acros are hard to keep for you, or you have never had a good experience with torches in your tank. Let's discuss those corals that are just stubborn in your tank! Photo Credit: @Jack Ravensbergen

For me, its Brain Coral. Just tried my 3rd frag about 3 months ago. Its covered in Coraline. I give up. LOL

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plate corals, specifically tentacle ones. Litho and fungai.

My long tentacle one lasted a couple of months. My larger litho started to die a week ago. Ended up dipping in iodine bath and water change. Its back to being puffy and tentacles out again! Hopefully the water change solved whatever issue.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonis for sure! I’ve had 4 that just faded away. Right now two are recovering when I put them in the shades with no light and low flow. I tried all sorts of setting for them, from low to high light and flow to dosing manganese, they thrive for 2-3 months then start dying.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
unpopular opinion but I can’t get pulsing xenia to live for more than a month in my tank, placed it in all sorts of flow and different spots of the tank, meanwhile my LPS, other Softies, and 1 montipira are all showing nice growth. I will never understand.
boom or bust for me also
Also tongue & plate corals give me fits, I won’t buy them..
torches never make it past 1 yr, same with elegance
clove polyps disappear on me

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriatopora Hystrix

As I have finally learned, the dang things require an ungodly amount of indirect flow in order to survive in the long-term and are extremely sensitive to high alk and alk swings. I have a tiny frag/colony that will hit the 1 year mark in about a week, making it my most succesfull attempt to date.

My previous attempt many years ago, never got further than 16 weeks.

Week 1, all is well:
BirdsNestWeek1.jpg

Weel 16, RTN sets in from the tips and the colony is gone in a matter of days after this.
BirdsnestWeek16.jpg

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favia for me not sure why but that’s the one I have tried twice and both within 2 months goners. Both frags were freebies but still hate that.

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? That is interesting; they don't grow well for you!

OP
OP
Gumbies R Us

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Favia for me not sure why but that’s the one I have tried twice and both within 2 months goners. Both frags were freebies but still hate that.
That is one coral I have wanted to try, but have not gotten one just yet

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to keep chalice corals. I've only tried about 4 times, but each time I just slowly watch them fade away.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish 1.jpeg
For the life of me I can’t grow;
GSP and Zoas.

DOES TANK SIZE MATTER WHEN TRYING TO MAINTAIN A STABLE ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR REEF?

• Yes, the environment in smaller tanks is harder to maintain.

Votes: 48 64.0%
  • Yes, the environment in larger tank is harder to maintain.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Reef environments are hard to maintain no matter the size of the tank.

Votes: 15 20.0%
  • You have problems maintaining your reef's environment? Noob.

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back