Does anyone use All for Reef AND Kalkwasser both, if so, at what dosage or ratios?

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have been searching and seeing some people say adding both isnt neccessary and could raise your alk to high. But. theoretically, if i mixed them at a ratio of like 3 to 1 or even 2 to 1, with all for reef being at 900ml mixture and add 300ml of kalk, then i dont see how this could be a problem if i maintain and watch my alk and calcium. once i find that stable dose to maintain the tank, the only potential issue i see is that the magnesium is set in all for reef to coincide with calcium consumption, and adding in the extra calcium and alk from kalk would offset this magenium balance. meaning i would have to keep my eye on mag and probably dose mag in small amounts. which is fine, i have extra auto pumps which would eliminate that issue. it will just take a little tweaking for a few weeks till i find that balance.

so i really see no downside to using both. i really need that PH bump from the kalk and i really want the trace elements and ease of use from all for reef. before using kalk my ph was like 7.7 ish. after kalk it jumped to 8.2 which is awesome.

So has anyone out there actually successfully implemented both and at what ratio or dose did you use?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I assume you do not literally mean mixing them into one solution, which won't likely work. Using both at the same time is fine.

They do mostly the same things, with kalkwasser raising pH and AFR adding some trace elements.
There's no particular ratio that is better than any other, but using both minimizes the advantages of each alone.

kalkwasser alone plus Tropic Marin A and JK may be a better bet if you want to raise pH and have trace elements.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I assume you do not literally mean mixing them into one solution, which won't likely work. Using both at the same time is fine.

They do mostly the same things, with kalkwasser raising pH and AFR adding some trace elements.
There's no particular ratio that is better than any other, but using both minimizes the advantages of each alone.

kalkwasser alone plus Tropic Marin A and JK may be a better bet if you want to raise pH and have trace elements.
ughhh i wish i had bought A and K instead. oh well. unfortunately i did mix them in the same container, i didnt think about precipitates. i just messaged you on a similiar thread. i wont be home for another 5 hours or so, hopefully it wont create havoc until i can toss that mix. ill have to find another way to add the kalk. maybe in my ATO. Also dumb question, but what is precipitates? is that when chunks form?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ughhh i wish i had bought A and K instead. oh well. unfortunately i did mix them in the same container, i didnt think about precipitates. i just messaged you on a similiar thread. i wont be home for another 5 hours or so, hopefully it wont create havoc until i can toss that mix. ill have to find another way to add the kalk. maybe in my ATO. Also dumb question, but what is precipitates? is that when chunks form?

I would expect magnesium hydroxide to precipitate, maybe even calcium hydroxide if you didn't dilute it.

Yes, solids cloudy or chunky white bits.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back