Does this mandarin has ich?

Liftoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am new to the hobby and just wanted to post my build thread; however, a more urgent issue has arisen.

I bought mandarin fish, and one of them has a hint of white dots on it. From research here in the forum, it might be ich, but I am not sure.

Before taking any further steps, I want to be certain about the diagnosis. It might also be nothing(?).

Can you help me?

Kind regards,
Liftoff

20240618_150709.jpg 20240618_150723.jpg 20240618_150715.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hard to tell
Hi all,

I am new to the hobby and just wanted to post my build thread; however, a more urgent issue has arisen.

I bought mandarin fish, and one of them has a hint of white dots on it. From research here in the forum, it might be ich, but I am not sure.

Before taking any further steps, I want to be certain about the diagnosis. It might also be nothing(?).

Can you help me?

Kind regards,
Liftoff

20240618_150709.jpg 20240618_150723.jpg 20240618_150715.jpg
with a dark fish in dark lighting but they’re generally resistant
Assure it’s not sand and repost pics under bright white lighting

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im gonna say the bad news and say i think so... look at the base of the tail, unless its a lympocyte.
And the bottom picture next to the dorsel fins also do not look good.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
One more pair of pictures
IMG-20240618-WA0063.jpg
IMG-20240618-WA0060.jpg
They are mucus cones mixed in with ich
These guys don’t do well with coppersafe
Treatment with general cure or chloroquine phosphate

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree - it looks like Ich. If I had a choice of copper or nothing I would use copper. However if you can get something else - all the better. IMHO - its rare for mandarins to get Ich - and - it may be that by the time that a Mandarin gets ich - its weakened - and it may not be the copper that is the 'killer'. This is just an opinion. If I had nothing else - I would treat it with copper safe (or a chelated copper). Additionally, your other fish should be treated as well - and the tank left fallow no matter which treatment you choose

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like ich to me. What other fish are in with it? Watch for spots on them over the next few days.

OP
OP
Liftoff

Liftoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the fast replies.

Alright, based on all replies, it does look like ich. :(

Besides having a few corals and invertebrates, I got a pair of mandarin (one visibly having ich) and two banggain cardinalfish.

I will now monitor the other fish, as suggested by Jay.

Can you guys help me with the next steps? From what I read here in the forum, I think I have two options now:

1. I could go fallow in the DT and quarantine all fish for several weeks. But then I wonder what are the chances that the ich in the display can die off in that time? (76 days)

2. Or can I find a way to live with ich? (Management) I am a beginner, but please keep being honest with feedback, I am confident that with your help, I can somehow manage this and find the best solution. :)

Best

Lifotff

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many thanks for the fast replies.

Alright, based on all replies, it does look like ich. :(

Besides having a few corals and invertebrates, I got a pair of mandarin (one visibly having ich) and two banggain cardinalfish.

I will now monitor the other fish, as suggested by Jay.

Can you guys help me with the next steps? From what I read here in the forum, I think I have two options now:

1. I could go fallow in the DT and quarantine all fish for several weeks. But then I wonder what are the chances that the ich in the display can die off in that time? (76 days)

2. Or can I find a way to live with ich? (Management) I am a beginner, but please keep being honest with feedback, I am confident that with your help, I can somehow manage this and find the best solution. :)

Best

Lifotff

I missed that you had a second mandarin. It is pretty unusual to have two fish, of the same species in a tank and one have ich and the other not. I think observation is in order here, just to rule out mucus plugs. Take a picture of the mandarin with the spots and then use that as a "chart" and look at the fish each day. If the same spots are in the same locations for 2 or 3 days, it isn't ich.

Ich will die off in a tank with no fish in it, that takes 45 to 60 days. I prefer 60 days, just in case there are other diseases at work.

Ich management works in some cases, but the key is that you have to actively manage it. Too many people think "ich management" consists of crossing their fingers and hoping (grin). Here is my post on that:

Jay

OP
OP
Liftoff

Liftoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay, and thank you all so much for the help.
I will monitor the spots on the mandarin and observe the others as well.

Do I understand correctly:
1) Spots at the same location within 2-3 days: no ich.
2) Respectively, spots vanishing/moving: ich.

Best and many thanks
Liftoff

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you Jay, and thank you all so much for the help.
I will monitor the spots on the mandarin and observe the others as well.

Do I understand correctly:
1) Spots at the same location within 2-3 days: no ich.
2) Respectively, spots vanishing/moving: ich.

Best and many thanks
Liftoff
It is basically that the life cycle of Ich is parasites are on the fish they fall off and new ones jump on - so that the spots are constantly changing. If it is not ich, the spots stay where they are and slowly resolve over time. if it turns out to be ich - all the fish in your tank will need to be treated (in a hospital tank) - and as Jay said - the tank left fallow

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 38.0%
  • My coral

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back