Dynamics of multiple Pomacentridae Damsels in one tank?

Enad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Over the years, I've grown fond of Damselfish. Their small size and their movement is very attractive to me and I've been considering adding more to my tank but I wanted to discuss the dynamics of keeping multiple Damsels in one tank as I know they can be aggressive.

To start, I have a matured 60g Peninsula with a lot of rock work and various sized coral colonies. I'd be looking to ideally mix 3-5 different Pomacentridae Damsels together, so let's say 2 Tracey's Damsels and 1 Orangetail Blue Damselfish for example. I would add all these new fish at the same time.

I also already have 1 Blue Sapphire Damsel who has been in the tank for 2 years. Ideally, I would like to NOT remove her, but I will if necessary.

The types of Damsels I'd be looking at would likely be as follows:
-Orangetail Blue Damselfish
-Black Cap Damselfish
-Ternate Damselfish
-Tracey's Damselfish
-Starki Damselfish(unless it's truly too aggro)

A few basic questions regarding this
1. Are success rates higher with the same TYPE of Damsel, even within the same family? Aka a pack of 3 or 5 Ternates will do better than a combined group
2. How detrimental would it be to keep the existing Sapphire Damsel in the tank vs starting fresh with a new pack of Damsels?
3. The Starki Damsel specifically seems to get a negative reputation for being aggressive against it's own kind, does this apply to other varieties such as Black Cap Damsel or Ternate Damsels? Could a pair of Starki's work if introduced at the same time?

I'm sure other questions will come up as the discussion goes on but I'm really just looking for some general wisdom on this subject.

Any help would be appreciated!

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back