ESHOPPS Mariner 70 Build

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They get fat quick. I haven't been able to mix Halichoeres yet, much less a leuco and a chrysus so I'm not much help. You have a decent number of sand sleepers already for a 3'x2' tank. Might work though!
Well, @Goaway has both a Leuco and a Chrysus. My Mel and Leuco get along fine.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, @Goaway has both a Leuco and a Chrysus. My Mel and Leuco get along fine.
By haven't been able to, I mean I haven't tried yet since my tank is on the small side. If I had a leuco and wanted a chrysus, I'd probably give it a try with at least one being a female.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
By haven't been able to, I mean I haven't tried yet since my tank is on the small side. If I had a leuco and wanted a chrysus, I'd probably give it a try with at least one being a female.
Leucoxanthus recently began showing green stripes. Not sure how long the transition will take. My Mel was transitioning when I bought him and it was close to a year before he was fully transitioned. The Chrysus is 2" which is small but I've seen them come in close to 1" before... My Leucoxanthus was around 2" when I bought her. Mel was already 4.5" at that point.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad idea? I'm considering adding a Halichoeres Chrysus to the tank...

3' x 2' footprint
Current Wrasse Stock:
H. Melanurus male - 5"
H. Leucoxanthus transitioning - 4"
M. Meleagris female - 2.5"

The Chrysus is 2" and female.
Chrysus being so similar to leucoxanthus may be an issue but I have seen people say theirs have paired and even court.

You can try but I don’t think tank size will be on your side as it can go wrong quickly and without enough of a distance between wrasses they can just constantly fight as they’ll always be in line of sight.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Chrysus being so similar to leucoxanthus may be an issue but I have seen people say theirs have paired and even court.

You can try but I don’t think tank size will be on your side as it can go wrong quickly and without enough of a distance between wrasses they can just constantly fight as they’ll always be in line of sight.
That was my other fear. No Chrysus for me! At least not until I'm at Petco and see a super healthy one and can't resist in person...

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok. I decided to be responsible and not order the Chrysus. Instead I was more stupider maybe?

Screenshot_20240620-193541.png

Scooters gonna scoot.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so hadn't updated since getting home from Hawaii. Not a great update but a hopeful update...

While I was gone I got some nasties pop up. It killed several of the Birdsnest frags and a couple of spots in the colony. I'm fairly certain that it's Dinos.

IMG_20240623_153824131.jpg
IMG_20240623_153817604.jpg
IMG_20240623_153901164.jpg

Also my Gonis are likely all goners - yes, even the Care Bears...

Anyways, I sucked a ton of the junk out and am doing a water change. I'm giving it some MB7 and Live Nitrifying Bacteria. I'm going to probably do a black out starting tomorrow if it doesn't start looking better.

Unfortunately I think my phosphates bottomed out while I was on vacation. I really need to move the doser over from the old tank I just haven't figured out where I'm going to put it yet.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I should say, everything else is looking good. I think we gained several more polyps on the Strats and the Duncans, I think there's a new baby or two on the Winter Soldier Bower and the Reverse Prism Favia, the Alveoporas are color morphing to a lot brighter coloration and fluffy, the Mojave Desert Rhodactis has fully healed and is open more than it ever has been since being added to the tank, and the Pink Cadillac is starting to regrow. The RTA Birdsnest and Bubblegum Digitata seem to be the only things affected by the junk.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
And.... Just in case:

IMG_20240623_165805592.jpg

Black out has commenced!

New fish will be here Tuesday, black out with new fish isn't a bad idea anyway so Wednesday will reveal the carnage I suppose.

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, blew everything off the rocks and corals and snowed the tank earlier.

Now, black out started, UV installed in DT, MB7 dosed, Nitrifying Bacteria dosed, phosphates added, added some filter floss on a clip, and reblew the rocks and corals.

Tomorrow I'ma try to get some silicates and dose small amounts.

We've got this!

OP
OP
tbrown

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Got home REALLY late from work - almost 7 o'clock. Went and peeked in the tank. Very few strands of garbage hanging off the corals and rocks. Also, the Leopard was out swimming around which surprised me.

Cleaned the filter floss and reinstalled, dosed some MB7 and more Nitrifying Bacteria. Still running the UV.

LA fish delivery is set for tomorrow. I have them holding it at the FedEx across the street from my neighborhood just in case my wife isn't home when it delivers tomorrow. She'll grab the package when she gets home and start the acclimation.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 109 29.1%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 154 41.2%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 95 25.4%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.3%
Back