Established angels fighting

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Today I noticed that my french angel suddenly started chasing and bullying my regal angel. Regal has been in there longer and she was tank boss and bullied the french when he was small. (Both angels have been together 7-8 months now). But he has gotten significantly bigger in that time and is now bigger than her, in fact he is my biggest fish. They are in a 125 together. Ive got the 300 gallon, getting it on Friday actually. Ive put a divider between both halves of the tank to keep them apart for now. Is this going to be an issue in the 300 when I move them? Im wondering if the french is just cranky because he is probably cramped in the tank (hence the reason for the 300!!). Just wondering if he will continue to bully the s*** out of her in the 300? No other issues with any fish just those two and it just started today. Yesterday they were swimming around together like they usually do.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos on moving to a bigger tank! (too many aquarists say they will but end up abusing thier fish). When you set up your new system I would design the rock work so there's large blind areas where one can swim around and not be seen by teh other. I would also have hiding places the smaller one can use but the larger can't use. But you need to be prepared to rehome on as there's no certainty to them getting long even with moving to a larger system.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kudos on moving to a bigger tank! (too many aquarists say they will but end up abusing thier fish). When you set up your new system I would design the rock work so there's large blind areas where one can swim around and not be seen by teh other. I would also have hiding places the smaller one can use but the larger can't use. But you need to be prepared to rehome on as there's no certainty to them getting long even with moving to a larger system.
Thank you! The upgrade took longer than I wished and I was getting ready to do some re homing (I was so sad) but then this deal came across FB! I was just surprised cause they got along fine before yesterday. My regal has been established almost a year, he was established 6 months after her as a baby. I was just worried that it was more than him being cranky (he is way too big for this tank now) and that he just decided he didnt like her. I love him but if I had to pick I would keep my regal, shes special :) I was thinking of doing two separate island structures in the tank and having more open room in the middle for the tangs to have some blank space to swim in when they dont want to be in the rocks. Maybe I should revise that with their issues? Im planning on getting my less aggressive fish over and letting them establish territory. I was going to move both the angels at the same time but Im thinking Ill move my regal first and let her establish territory before he moves. Shes actually more on the aggressive side for regals thats why I was surprised she was running from him, shes usually more of a bully

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do something more than two island structures. Here's a video that might have some ideas for designing your aquascaping so it provides more structure for your regal to get away from your french but still have an open framewrok so you can see everyone.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Today I noticed that my french angel suddenly started chasing and bullying my regal angel. Regal has been in there longer and she was tank boss and bullied the french when he was small. (Both angels have been together 7-8 months now). But he has gotten significantly bigger in that time and is now bigger than her, in fact he is my biggest fish. They are in a 125 together. Ive got the 300 gallon, getting it on Friday actually. Ive put a divider between both halves of the tank to keep them apart for now. Is this going to be an issue in the 300 when I move them? Im wondering if the french is just cranky because he is probably cramped in the tank (hence the reason for the 300!!). Just wondering if he will continue to bully the s*** out of her in the 300? No other issues with any fish just those two and it just started today. Yesterday they were swimming around together like they usually do.
Just lost a flame angel that jumped over the divider onto the floor ,and in the past have had angels get past a divider mysteriously , so hopefully you have a lid.

OP
OP
littlefoxx

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost a flame angel that jumped over the divider onto the floor ,and in the past have had angels get past a divider mysteriously , so hopefully you have a lid.
I have eels so I have a heavy glass lid. I removed the french. Regal is much happier

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.3%
Back