Experience with Anthias?

cyguyry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has experience with Anthias. I’ve seen a Lyretail Anthias and would love to get one for my aquarium. Are they schooling or not? I’ve seen many things saying that they are and then a few saying don’t try it. Is it that some types of Anthias are and some are not? Are there any other Anthias that anyone would suggest or has had experience with that would go well with the Lyretail?

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a single male lyretail anthia for a couple years. Haven't had any aggression issues and he eats everything I feed the tank (frozen mix and pellets) except the nori. He's very active and adds a lot of color.

Upvote 0

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 female and 1 male Lyretail and they all get along splendidly.

While they "can" be kept singularly, they are naturally a very SOCIAL fish and "interact" with others of their own kind constantly. I would find it tough (my own personal belief) to keep a singular Anthias. Plus, watching the Male "interact" with his harem is very entertaining.

They add a lot of COLOR and MOVEMENT to the tank and I wouldn't have a mature tank without them. They "hide/nest" within the rock at night so you want to make sure they have lots of options for that as to allow them to have the best possible habitat.

They do eat often so keep that in mind. I ended up adding an Auto-Feeder specifically for the Lyretail Anthias in my tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cyguyry

cyguyry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 female and 1 male Lyretail and they all get along splendidly.

While they "can" be kept singularly, they are naturally a very SOCIAL fish and "interact" with others of their own kind constantly. I would find it tough (my own personal belief) to keep a singular Anthias. Plus, watching the Male "interact" with his harem is very entertaining.

They add a lot of COLOR and MOVEMENT to the tank and I wouldn't have a mature tank without them. They "hide/nest" within the rock at night so you want to make sure they have lots of options for that as to allow them to have the best possible habitat.

They do eat often so keep that in mind. I ended up adding an Auto-Feeder specifically for the Lyretail Anthias in my tank.
How often and what are you feeding?

Upvote 0

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if anyone has experience with Anthias. I’ve seen a Lyretail Anthias and would love to get one for my aquarium. Are they schooling or not? I’ve seen many things saying that they are and then a few saying don’t try it. Is it that some types of Anthias are and some are not? Are there any other Anthias that anyone would suggest or has had experience with that would go well with the Lyretail?

Your title said anthias but inside the body you mentioned Lyretails specifically. The male is a striking fish. I've not kept them but I do have 4 captive bred Pink Square Anthias from Biota. They can get pretty large up to around 8" or so I've read. Mine are pushing close to 6" now. Very healthy, eat everything, no fight clubs, one dominate in a constant transition state (not full color with square yet), clear harem hierarchy.

I feed a lot. Hourly starting at 0830 ending at 1800. Dry pellet via auto feeder. Small portions mixed blend of mysis, hikari s, a, and tdo x-small, small. I have a variety of fish with some smaller damsels and gobies. Feeding hourly means everyone gets something. I also feed frozen once a day rotating through various foods. PE calanus, mysis, brine, prime reef, LRS reef, LRS fish, LRS Nano.

I've found that by feeding more throughout the day, smaller portions, means everyone is likely to get something. Even the smallest fish in the harem. This works for me and my anthias are all full bodies.

Upvote 0

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often and what are you feeding?

AUTO Feeding:
My feeder starts at 07:00 and feeds every hour (1x) till 13:00. Then it feeds every 2 hours (1x) until 19:00 at which time it feeds 3x which happens to be when we are usually in the same room as the tank and can enjoy the longer feeding session.
The Auto Feeding is loaded with crushed Flake Food and Sustainable Aquatics - Hatchery Diet (0.5mm) Pellets.

MANUAL Feeding:
Usually around 21:00, if I'm manually feeding that night, I will thaw a small portion of Mysis, Brine, Krill, Veggie, and Rods and feed the tank.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your title said anthias but inside the body you mentioned Lyretails specifically. The male is a striking fish. I've not kept them but I do have 4 captive bred Pink Square Anthias from Biota. They can get pretty large up to around 8" or so I've read. Mine are pushing close to 6" now. Very healthy, eat everything, no fight clubs, one dominate in a constant transition state (not full color with square yet), clear harem hierarchy.

I feed a lot. Hourly starting at 0830 ending at 1800. Dry pellet via auto feeder. Small portions mixed blend of mysis, hikari s, a, and tdo x-small, small. I have a variety of fish with some smaller damsels and gobies. Feeding hourly means everyone gets something. I also feed frozen once a day rotating through various foods. PE calanus, mysis, brine, prime reef, LRS reef, LRS fish, LRS Nano.

I've found that by feeding more throughout the day, smaller portions, means everyone is likely to get something. Even the smallest fish in the harem. This works for me and my anthias are all full bodies.
AUTO Feeding:
My feeder starts at 07:00 and feeds every hour (1x) till 13:00. Then it feeds every 2 hours (1x) until 19:00 at which time it feeds 3x which happens to be when we are usually in the same room as the tank and can enjoy the longer feeding session.
The Auto Feeding is loaded with crushed Flake Food and Sustainable Aquatics - Hatchery Diet (0.5mm) Pellets.

MANUAL Feeding:
Usually around 21:00, if I'm manually feeding that night, I will thaw a small portion of Mysis, Brine, Krill, Veggie, and Rods and feed the tank.

What auto feeders are you guys using?

Upvote 0

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is great to hear. I have given up on them ( wild pink square) as they have never done well for me. Would live to see a pic of those 6” anthias.

Upvote 0

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought a male female pair

The female became dominate and harassed the male. Then the female started transitioning.

Now I believe I have two males and they get along. They are very social and active, always greet me, and don’t bother anyone.

But for about 2 weeks…I was convinced them that female was going to kill the male. Somehow it all worked out

I feed 2-3x a day

11C56334-E8E5-4E96-B04F-FC2B9564EB1F.jpeg
C2908985-F769-4003-8052-AA5ECE75AB9B.jpeg

Upvote 0

BigAl07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What auto feeders are you guys using?
I use a plank. I like that it premixes freeze dried food before releasing so it sinks and doesn’t float and go right into my filtration

I can also drop a frozen cube in the mixing chamber and it thaws then releases into the water which is super convenient

Upvote 0

Wishful Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a few different ones and thus far, the one I like the best is:

hygger Intelligent Fish Feeder - with Camera

This one is WiFi, well built, and the camera is AWESOME, although it's just a BONUS item.

1729206631170.png

Thus far (about 6 weeks in) this unit is a 10 of 10 for me and how I use them.
I see your in Waynesville, how did your tank do in the hurricane?

Upvote 0

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried a few different ones and thus far, the one I like the best is:

hygger Intelligent Fish Feeder - with Camera

This one is WiFi, well built, and the camera is AWESOME, although it's just a BONUS item.

1729206631170.png

Thus far (about 6 weeks in) this unit is a 10 of 10 for me and how I use them.

Thank you, this one looks nice too.

I just have the eheim I use when out of town. Would like something nice to use every day.

Upvote 0

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a plank. I like that it premixes freeze dried food before releasing so it sinks and doesn’t float and go right into my filtration

I can also drop a frozen cube in the mixing chamber and it thaws then releases into the water which is super convenient

Thanks! I will be checking this one out as well.

Upvote 0

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto feeders for sure, the Plank is great. I’ve also had success with the cheap Eheims as well.

Watch out for aggression, dominate females can start to transition to male and if you have a male already it will most likely not tolerate that. I use to have 4 females and 1 male, the larger of the females started to transition and my male wasted no time killing it.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back