Fans Work

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't understand my point and no I've never used a fan to evaporate water but have used a fan to defrost fish and rodents. I understand how humidity works. I understand how fans work on evaporation. My point being that it might be advantageous to cool the ATO and therefore reduce the evaporation needed. Plus excess evaporation can cause mold and those in high humidity will have less evaporation than those living in low humidity, for example.

Freeze a block of RODI and place it in the ATO. Food for thought. ;)
Ok that makes sense. Wasnt coming off that way, sounded like you were contesting the concept as a whole. maybe I missed a post(idk). And yes, most of my point has been about indoor humidity levels. Evaporation via fan will reduce temperature, but you have to do something with all that moisture in the air( dehumidifier) to prevent mildew/mold long term. A easy check for anybody would be to look at a birth facing widow in your house, does condensation collect there? Any black spots on widow sill...(?)
And like you're saying, once the air is saturated enough, Evaporation slows thus reducing cooling effects. I can see cooling ato water helping small tanks. but a gallon of cold water, spread throughout the day, will not have any meaningful effect on temperature on say a 100g tank..

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok that makes sense. Wasnt coming off that way, sounded like you were contesting the concept as a whole. maybe I missed a post(idk). And yes, most of my point has been about indoor humidity levels. Evaporation via fan will reduce temperature, but you have to do something with all that moisture in the air( dehumidifier) to prevent mildew/mold long term. A easy check for anybody would be to look at a birth facing widow in your house, does condensation collect there? Any black spots on widow sill...(?)
And like you're saying, once the air is saturated enough, Evaporation slows thus reducing cooling effects. I can see cooling ato water helping small tanks. but a gallon of cold water, spread throughout the day, will not have any meaningful effect on temperature on say a 100g tank..
My thought process being those using evaporation as a means of chilling will require an increase in ATO capacity. That gassed has to be replaced.

Size of tank to me is irrelevant since one likely needs the same percentage of evaporation to cool any body of water thereby increasing the amount of replacement water needed. Small tanks evaporating 2% weekly will likely see the same 2% on a larger system exposed to the same room humidity with all other considerations being equal such as tank temperature and level of exposure above the tank. Being sealed vs open top, for example although if I recall correctly, deeper tanks evaporate less but don't quote me on that. It's been decades since I had to understand this. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought process being those using evaporation as a means of chilling will require an increase in ATO capacity. That gassed has to be replaced.

Size of tank to me is irrelevant since one likely needs the same percentage of evaporation to cool any body of water thereby increasing the amount of replacement water needed. Small tanks evaporating 2% weekly will likely see the same 2% on a larger system exposed to the same room humidity with all other considerations being equal such as tank temperature and level of exposure above the tank. Being sealed vs open top, for example although if I recall correctly, deeper tanks evaporate less but don't quote me on that. It's been decades since I had to understand this. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I agree. Was trying to put a number on it. My 180g with halides/ led in a closed canopy with fans encouraging evaporation will lose a little more than a gallon and a half every day. But adding 2 gallons of cold water to 180g will not gain any benefit.

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't understand my point and no I've never used a fan to evaporate water but have used a fan to defrost fish and rodents. I understand how humidity works. I understand how fans work on evaporation. My point being that it might be advantageous to cool the ATO and therefore reduce the evaporation needed. Plus excess evaporation can cause mold and those in high humidity will have less evaporation than those living in low humidity, for example.

Freeze a block of RODI and place it in the ATO. Food for thought. ;)
Indoors, I’m still not buying it. That said, I do think this could be a factor to consider if you are storing your RODI outdoors in a warm climate. I think someone on here mentioned using a frozen gallon milk jug filled with water and tossed in the reservoir each day for a similar application.

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 21 36.2%
  • My coral

Votes: 32 55.2%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back