Fast or slow flow rate? Does it matter?

cnjcpb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can I run my return pump at 20 x tank size? I have an upgraded pump and like the higher flow rate better for the additional flow it provides inside the display. Is there any reason why increasing the flow rate be detrimental?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2 possible downsides would be noise and safety.

If it's still quiet enough for you, and your overflow and plumbing can handle the flow without being in danger of overflowing the display, then let 'er rip.

Someone may say that it will make your skimmer in your sump less efficient, but that is nonsense...IMO.

Upvote 0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that about sums it up!

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot help but feel that better flow would be better accomplished by adding more powerheads, or upgrading existing powerheads.

Upvote 0

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll second @nereefpat assertions.

I would say they are correct - if your overflow can handle it, than there's no issue with increasing flow. The only thing you may need to do, is figure out how much more water the systems needs to maintain levels in the the sump.

If you want to find the maximum (safe) throughput that your overflow can handle - here's how I do it.

Start by opening any drain valves you have wide open. (the drain will get really loud).

Then, increasing your pump 5 to 10% at a time, then waiting few minutes while adding water to the sump as needed to maintain the level in the return chamber.

Each time it stabilizes, increase another 5 to 10%.

At some point you may notice that the display tank will begin to fill up faster than it can drain - this will be the flow rate outpacing the drain. At that point reduce the pump 10-20%, and let it stabilize.

If you reach 100% on the return pump, but your not overrunning your drain, then just just move on the next step.

Finally, adjust your drain valve(s) to make it quite. Once you have it dialed in, you may need to remove water from the system to maintain the proper level in the return chamber of your sump.

Now that you have more flow going through the display tank - you might consider add the Random Flow Generator and take full advantage of that flow :)

Upvote 0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once saw a blue tang get swimmed to death in a 125 gallon tank that had a large return pump pushing lots of water through the system.

In nature the water exchange is much larger during tidal swings than what we can manage in a enclosed small system but the fishes can move around and into low current refugia when storms come through.

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back