Feeling a little defeated need to QT now..

jayteerq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to test my luck and failed miserably… I have let down the reefing community and unethically killed my fish. Lost over 1000$ worth of fish due to a ich/velvet outbreak. Thought I could bend the rules and avoid quarantining but boy did that bite me in the rear.

Fish I’ve lost
- 2 Hippo Tangs
- 1 Powder Blue Tang
- 4 Clownfish
- 1 Royal Gramma
- 1 Six Line Wrasse
- 1 Valentini Puffer

I have 1 yellow tang, 6 chromis and 2 gobys remaining… everyone looks to be strong, energetic and eating. I’ve learned my lesson and want to pull them out for QT as well as leave the tank fallow.. my question is how do I get the goby’s out?? They’re insanely skittish and really fast!

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey man, you didn’t let anyone down. you just got unlucky, it happens.

I don’t quarantine either and it’s a risk I knowingly take.

Learn from your mistakes and then do things differently next time, you’ll find that’s a common occurrence in this hobby.

We’re also always here to help!

This thing works like a charm for me.

Last edited:

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to test my luck and failed miserably… I have let down the reefing community and unethically killed my fish. Lost over 1000$ worth of fish due to a ich/velvet outbreak. Thought I could bend the rules and avoid quarantining but boy did that bite me in the rear.

Fish I’ve lost
- 2 Hippo Tangs
- 1 Powder Blue Tang
- 4 Clownfish
- 1 Royal Gramma
- 1 Six Line Wrasse
- 1 Valentini Puffer

I have 1 yellow tang, 6 chromis and 2 gobys remaining… everyone looks to be strong, energetic and eating. I’ve learned my lesson and want to pull them out for QT as well as leave the tank fallow.. my question is how do I get the goby’s out?? They’re insanely skittish and really fast!
You did not let anyone down, this stuff happens more than anyone cares to admit. I do not QT either, and it is a risk we take. If I add any fish down the road, I will be QTing as well. Sorry for the huge loss.

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey man, you didn’t let anyone down. you just got unlucky, it happens.

Learn from your mistakes and then do things differently next time, you’ll find that’s a common occurrence in this hobby.

We’re also always here to help!

This thing works like a charm for me.

Fascinating! Thanks!

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You did not let anyone down, this stuff happens more than anyone cares to admit. I do not QT either, and it is a risk we take. If I add any fish down the road, I will be QTing as well. Sorry for the huge loss.
Hey thanks for the positive reinforcement. Really means a lot!

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course, and I mean it. We all make mistakes in this hobby, and some can very painful and costly. But as long as we learn from them going forward, all is good.
Yep! I have killed more fish than I would care to admit but in the end it was so the fish I have now can live a happy and comfortable life :)

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish I’ve lost
- 2 Hippo Tangs
- 1 Powder Blue Tang
- 4 Clownfish
- 1 Royal Gramma
- 1 Six Line Wrasse
- 1 Valentini Puffer

I'm not let down, just sad you lost your fish. Your doing the best you can with what you have.
How big is your tank? Rock can be taken out and I like to use 2 nets. Or one net and a bucket(if no rock to get in your way).
Some use plastic grocery bags weighted down, it confuses the fish with barriers.

darrick001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a painful mistake we have all made. Just learn from it and move on. I QT everything now. every rock, coral, snail, fish, plant, everything .

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 27 37.5%
  • My coral

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back