OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. I got enough spare pipe/unions for if something came up, but not a spare overflow bulkhead.

I'm going to grab some pvc epoxy tomorrow and see if I can't seal it.
Gonna try to silicone tape the leak today, just as a temporary fix to make sure it's the only one. Waiting on a reply about the size of the bulkhead so I can get a replacement and redo that section of plumbing.

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to start with softies/LPS and eventually work towards adding SPS as well. My only livestock interest other than corals is some nems. I have kids and grandkids though, so we'll inevitably end up with several fish as well.

Stocking plan:
Mated Clownfish Pair
Anemone (Black Widow)
Firefish Goby (purple)

Blasto
Acan
Hammer
Goni
Zoa
Acropora*
Birdsnest*

*probably way down the road, possibly even after a hopeful future tank upgrade
Been a minute. Been getting back into the post-vacation swing. Currently kicking around flow in the flavor of 1) 2x 2k gyres vs 2) 1 2k gyre and a Tunze 6025 or 6045

Updated 1st post stocking plan.
Confirmed the leak I found is the only leak, redoing plumbing is the next to-do.

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replacement bulkhead, plus a few other pieces, due in Saturday.

Got the leaky section removed, and shortened how far into the sump the drain goes. In testing I was able to get it almost completely quiet, but I think it was going too far down and not able to completely empty of air. The overflow is currently the noisy part of the system, but I hope to resolve that with the few other pieces coming with the bulkhead.

Snipped picture of the overflow from a previous photo, but the bulkhead into the overflow is almost even with the emergency drain height, meaning at higher rates of flow the bulkhead is either 1) forcing water into the emergency drain or 2) falling down into a lower water level in the overflow box.
-1 to FijiCube's included section of emergency drain pipe
-1 to me for not realizing this in dry fitting

overflow.png

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropped in the local LFSs today, and came across a rock that was just so unique I couldn't pass it up... so I redid the aquascape..... I gotta get this thing full and cycling so I stop meddling

1000005970.jpg

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really looks good. Plenty of places for coral and fish to camp out
Yeah, the more I stared at the giant shelf of a top, the less I liked the way it looked. The piece I found is the left most middle, and is a tunnel with a couple pillars coming down in it. Just piqued my interest for fish exploration and a reason to redo it

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be very happy long term. I have really noticed with my current tank the important of each fish having their own hidey hole to sleep in and your setup looks to have a lot

OP
OP
AnomMatty

AnomMatty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing redone! Much happier with height of the emergency drain, and leak free!

Hoping to have powerheads here next weekend, then I should have an actual saltwater tank in short order.

First inhabitants will be a bonded pair of Mocha Storm Clowns.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 189 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back