First Ozone Generator

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive been keeping reef aquariums for over 3 decades.
This is my first ever ozone generator. And it just does not seem like ive set it up right.
Can anyone please tell me if it sounds ok, or if i should change anything?

I have a Poseidon 200 Ozone Generator, an Ozone Air Dryer Gen2, a Dwyer Flow Meter (RMA-TMV), a Reef Octopus Elite 200-INT Skimmer.

In order its like this:
Flow Meter-->Air Dryer-->Ozone Generator-->Skimmer (Yes i have activated carbon on top of the skimmer)

I have an Orp probe from an Apex Controller. And i've seen no difference since the ozone generator has been hooked up and powered on.
The flow meter is show little to no flow, even when wide open.

I have either installed things out of order, or the skimmer is not producing enough suction and i should install an air pump before the flow meter.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of how the ozone is being drawn into the skimmer?

There really shouldn’t be a need for an air pump.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, make sure the ozone unit is on. There is a knob with different levels from 1-8, I believe. The ozone generator will have a green indicator light when it works.

The air drier should be connected to “IN,” and the skimmer should be connected to “OUT” in the ozone unit.

Make sure the air drier is facing the flow. The arrow that faces the nozzle on the air drier should connected the Ozone IN outlet.

What level on the knob did you set the unit to?

Also, ORP doesn’t rise rapidly, and it doesn’t need to go high for the water clarity effect to happen. I only want to ensure the ozone is getting injected.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, make sure the ozone unit is on. There is a knob with different levels from 1-8, I believe. The ozone generator will have a green indicator light when it works.

The air drier should be connected to “IN,” and the skimmer should be connected to “OUT” in the ozone unit.

Make sure the air drier is facing the flow. The arrow that faces the nozzle on the air drier should connected the Ozone IN outlet.

What level on the knob did you set the unit to?

Also, ORP doesn’t rise rapidly, and it doesn’t need to go high for the water clarity effect to happen. I only want to ensure the ozone is getting injected.
The skimmer has a varios4 pump, with an inlet for a ozone generator, thats what its connected to from the outlet of the ozone generator.
However the pump is running only at 20%, otherwise the skimmer would constantly overflow. Maybe that's the issue?

I did connect all of the inlet and outlet ports correctly.
I twisted the knob on the ozone generator to max to start off with. And set Apex to turn off the ozone generator if the ORP gets above 360.
I am not sure about the green light, for now its off until a air pump arrives tomorrow. I ordered a basic air pump, just something quiet and not too strong. I can always limit the air flow with the dwyer meter.
Based on the air flow meter, no air was getting sucked in just using the varios skimmer pump.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think i see what i did wrong.

I should have put the flow meter after the dryer not before.
I'll see if that makes any difference when i move stuff around tomorrow.

btw its also a ozotech air dryer

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it normal to hear a sound like air leaking inside the ozone generator?

Eventually i had to hook up an air pump since the skimmer pump power is too low to do any real air suction.

After hooking it all up, i do get the green light on the ozone generator. And when i turn the ozone generator on it sounds like a hissing air release sound from inside of the ozone generator itself. When i turn the ozone generator off, the sound stops (with the air pump still on).

Is that a normal sound or should i be concerned?

Here is a very crude drawing of my setup
1722306007899.png

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 29 76.3%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.9%
Back