first reef time lets goooo

MrBuldopz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone, freshwater aquascape guy here building my first reef tank

did really well on marketplace with this custom built tank and sump, it’s starfire glass, the whole system is about 110 gals if i measure to the sump water marks, the display is this really cool 80 gal(ish) 24” x 39” x 20” deep.

i think i understand all the gear i’m gonna try to fumble my way through the first year with following the guidance of brs and the 5 minute guide videos and its just been a dream of mine since forever.

my first question for ya’ll is about pyramid butterflies. i initially planned to build a mixed reef around one and my very knowledgeable lfs guy seems to think a small one would be just fine due to the nature of this tank’s footprint, but much of what i’ve read online has been very mixed on them in less than 120 gals. i’d love to hear everyone’s thoughts and look forward to being active in this community.
98846D52-DE82-4520-99A4-6F474AB8EC03.jpeg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AaaR2R2.gif

Well, your tank may be a little small for the PB. I've read 125G minimum. 100G minimum. Minimum of 5 feet long as well. As I've never kept one, I have no first hand experience. My concern would be not enough of a swim lane. But, as stated, I have no first hand experience. Even if you find it's not recommended, there are plenty of good choices out there that'll look (and work) great!

So Greetings and Welcome to our collective obsession!

OP
OP
MrBuldopz

MrBuldopz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AaaR2R2.gif

Well, your tank may be a little small for the PB. I've read 125G minimum. 100G minimum. Minimum of 5 feet long as well. As I've never kept one, I have no first hand experience. My concern would be not enough of a swim lane. But, as stated, I have no first hand experience. Even if you find it's not recommended, there are plenty of good choices out there that'll look (and work) great!

So Greetings and Welcome to our collective obsession!
Yeah that’s about where my heads at with it too, thanks for your input and the welcome!

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.4%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 98 43.8%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 56 25.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.8%
Back