First Saltwater Tank (20 gal)

saltwaterseth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent around 6 weeks cycling the tank and just added the clowns yesterday and they seem to be doing great and took to the tank almost right away. Whats else is in there is: 5 blue leg hermits; 2 trochus snails; 1 green star polyp coral. Everything seems to be going really good on day 2 so far and a mesh lid is on its way. Any tips or questions would be great as I’ve basically built it off of day of research on here. Also wondering what additional fish I can throw here (my brother thinks 2 more fish would work but im thinking only 1 more; maybe a goby)

IMG_4731.jpeg

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system is “new” and I would focus a ton on water chemistry. Work continuously towards achieving the least flux in the major players, temp, salinity, Alk, CA and MG plus fed your new system by ensuring nitrate and phosphate are both available in trace amounts and not rising or falling, week over week.

Use toothbrush if you need to for awhile to keep rocks clean while your good guy population increases to a point where, they keep rocks and sand clean.

These guys also consume phosphate and feed others as well.

Fish….maybe a royal gramma….you have room.

Maybe something that burrows….lots of these.

A addition once of some pods plus a weekly dash of phyto will hasten the grow.

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

saltwaterseth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system is “new” and I would focus a ton on water chemistry. Work continuously towards achieving the least flux in the major players, temp, salinity, Alk, CA and MG plus fed your new system by ensuring nitrate and phosphate are both available in trace amounts and not rising or falling, week over week.

Use toothbrush if you need to for awhile to keep rocks clean while your good guy population increases to a point where, they keep rocks and sand clean.

These guys also consume phosphate and feed others as well.

Fish….maybe a royal gramma….you have room.

Maybe something that burrows….lots of these.

A addition once of some pods plus a weekly dash of phyto will hasten the grow.

Good luck!
Thank you!! It was a struggle getting the nitrites down during the first 2.5 weeks but they eventually dropped a ton even though ive read that nitrites aren’t as important for saltwater. But everything else has consistently been good so far now the juggle of keeping them steady with life. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Mr. Mojo Rising

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a great start. My only suggestion is to get some powrheads in there to move more water. Point one of them at the water surface to agitate the surface, it will help oxygenate the water.

OP
OP
S

saltwaterseth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like a great start. My only suggestion is to get some powrheads in there to move more water. Point one of them at the water surface to agitate the surface, it will help oxygenate the water.
Thank you! Definitely going to look more into those, the filter itself produces a good amount of flow which the clowns enjoy a lot but apparently the green star polyp will grow faster with more flow so even more reason.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back