Fish you absolutely regret/hate never want to keep again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few.

1) Yasha Goby. Bought it and the thing immediately hid. I saw it peek out once for about 5 seconds a couple weeks later, then never saw it again. At some point, the idiot swam into the tiny emergency relief holes around the return pump eyelet and got stuck in the flow diverter attached to the eyelet. The only reason I know this is because after eons of not seeing the fish, I was cleaning the tank and when I removed the flow diverter I found what was left of the carcass stuck inside. What a waste of $70. If your tank has ANY holes a fish can potentially fit in, there's a good chance it'll try.
Usually they hide if it’s an active tank. Mine have all come out of hiding in my nano within 1-2 weeks of settling in. Heres my current one :)
IMG_1644.jpeg

2) Flame Hawkfish. It's fine (so far) with my clowns and cardinals, but it murdered both black mollies within the first 2 weeks they were in the tank together. The mollies were the sweetest little fish who just wanted to swim about and nibble on the rock work and sandbed. The hawk apparently thinks the sandbed and rock work are its property and will murder anything that touches either one. One Molly it bit off its entire tail down to the meat and the other, it took a gigantic bite out of its belly. Both were dead within 24 hours of the attack. I hope it doesn't decide the other fish in the tank deserve death, because if it does, this fish is getting the boot.
Honestly, any hawkfish is on my list of no’s. All the ones I’ve had and have mixed with wrasses made a b-line for them.
I’ve lost 2-3 of my own wrasses and had to separate hawkfish with wrasses in LFSs. They seem to love hunting down Macropharyngodon and Paracheilinus species. My Lyretail wiped out my male Iridis as well.

kc4mnp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake Eel, found out after I got it that it would eat anything I put in the Tank, and He terrorized my Tank for 22 Long glorious years !
Still miss him mean as he was, He had real character, even went carpet surfing one night and survived !
:)

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns without a doubt. I had a black percula for 17 years or so. It was great as a juvenile and male. Would play in between my fingers and was very friendly. Then it became female. Holy crap was she mean. She took over the entire 75g tank for her territory and would bite hunks out of your hand if you tried to clean the tank. I still have a couple of scars from that little lady. Finally had to move and gave her to a friend.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why the flame hawk?
Hawkfish are nasty.
Here was mine (Lyre Tail - Cyprinocirrhites polyactis) and the cage that I built specifically for him (which is useful for an acclimation box now).
IMG_7454.jpeg

IMG_7465.jpeg

IMG_7747.jpeg

IMG_7674.jpeg

Within one week this guy claimed 2 lives and nearly 3. This was even after searching and seeing they were ‘compatible’ with the species I had. The first death was my 4 year old CBB, then it was my 4 year old male Iridis Wrasse, then he went for my Diamond Tail Flasher and that was when I built the cage.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The list -
Splendid Dottyback (well probably any but I had one of these terrors)
Yellowtail Damsels that turned out to be jerks and developed a taste for Acros
Bristletooth tang who was the the most bossy in your face fish , especially with my Blenny
Honorable mentions to-
My pearly Jawfish who has several times buried corals worth over 5 times his cost. Fortunately no casualties as the sand was easy to blow off.
My freakin Ocellaris clowns, who have murdered at least 5 corals while trying to use them as hosts(3 frogspawn and 2 gonis if I’m counting correctly). The worst of it is that they utilize the bta , esp to sleep in. Ugh.

OP
OP
Autistic reef keeper

Autistic reef keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Puffers are the best! They just need their own fowlr tanks if you tried to put one in a reef that was your problem because they aren’t and have never been reef-safe.
What’s the worst second happen with SPS colonies that been the time for three years they can probably take a few nips

bun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if your rockwork is not secured and not bonded together, they will burrow under and cause it to collapse.
Also they will barf sand all over your corals on the sand bed.

And they get into neighbor disputes with jawfishes like this:

Don't get a blue spotted jaw fish.

OP
OP
Autistic reef keeper

Autistic reef keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My freakin Ocellaris clowns, who have murdered at least 5 corals while trying to use them as hosts(3 frogspawn and 2 gonis if I’m counting correctly). The worst of it is that they utilize the bta , esp to sleep in. Ugh.
See clown fish aren’t completely coral safe lol.:rolleyes:

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 70 82.4%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 36 42.4%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 16.5%
Back