Flow in 75 gallon tank..

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I was trying to see if I have enough flow in my 75 gallon. I have 2 660 gph wave makers and a 1050 gph in my 75 gallon. Is this enough flow? Reason why I ask is cause I tested my water and still have cyano all on the sand bed of my tank. My numbers are at 0 and phosphates are at .06 via hanna checker. Tank is 5 weeks old and figured ide see what everyone thinks and thank you in advance!
20190505_150546.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With corals your should have 30 to 60x tank volume in gph

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank. I have a 75 and use two Apex Wav that I can only run no higher that 30% or it will splash water out of the tank. I am sure there are other pumps just as strong and stronger. My return is the Cor-15 which I just installed and it can run no higher that 35% or it will empty my sump and flood my tank. I think your return is fine but maybe stronger power heads will help. Also, I used a Red Slime treatment a while ago and it worked great! Just make sure to add aeration to the tank and do the recommended water change. Good luck!

Last edited:

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with cristy17. however the bad thing about powerheads like that is they can be more direct flow in one directions unlike gyres that create a turnover type flow. in my opinion gyres are the best type of powerhead for a tank. I have a 75 gallon and I have to ice cap 3k's. I run one at each end and I run them opposite each other. one for 4 hours and then shuts off and the other kicks on. I only run them about 50% and my sps and lps are all really happy.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the diatoms are a natural part of setting up a new tank. There is a snail that will help get rid of it. They are called nassarius.
Not really concerned with them but more so the cyano. There are a few power heads on bulkreef supply that seem to pump out some gph but I just want to make sure I have enough flow.

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with cristy17. however the bad thing about powerheads like that is they can be more direct flow in one directions unlike gyres that create a turnover type flow. in my opinion gyres are the best type of powerhead for a tank. I have a 75 gallon and I have to ice cap 3k's. I run one at each end and I run them opposite each other. one for 4 hours and then shuts off and the other kicks on. I only run them about 50% and my sps and lps are all really happy.
I will check this out. Thanks!

OP
OP
Wick

Wick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The price seems fair. You like it?

Cristy17

Sunshine Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! Gyres are AWESOME pumps! I would have gotten one but I wanted the control since I run an Apex controller. I have a friend that has two in a 100 waterbox. Her tank looks amazing and the flow is excellent! Great choice! Just a bit of a pain to clean but they have made it easier than the first generation which I had at one time.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it loud? People are complaining of that.

I run my 3k's at 50% and the only way I can hear them is if I put my ear right next to them. maybe those people aren't cleaning them enough. I clean mine in a vinegar bath once every 4 months or so

IS IT POSSIBLE TO "MASTER" REEFING? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes.

Votes: 55 37.2%
  • No.

Votes: 82 55.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back