Fluconazole

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So I have purchased Fluconazole for my Bryopsis outbreak. I’ve read the OG thread on this however there are 304 pages so it’s tough to find out what the final verdict was about dose. Is is still best practice to dose at 20mg per gallon or was 10mg per gallon found to be just as effective? And is it still useful to dose peroxide at the same time to assist or is that just a needless redundancy?

Cheers.

Zig.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey all,

So I have purchased Fluconazole for my Bryopsis outbreak. I’ve read the OG thread on this however there are 304 pages so it’s tough to find out what the final verdict was about dose. Is is still best practice to dose at 20mg per gallon or was 10mg per gallon found to be just as effective? And is it still useful to dose peroxide at the same time to assist or is that just a needless redundancy?

Cheers.

Zig.
I find Flux an alternative and not a solution in many cases and even causing issues with corals. Problem with flux as it often does not affect the roots of bryopsis and Derbesia (its cousin)
Both of these are one of the more challenging of algae due to need of its complete removal. Removal is best accomplished by taking the rock out of tank and placing in a container of tank water. Then you will want to pull as much as you can by hand and discard. With a dental pick or small crochet needle, pull the roots off the rock. YOU MUST GET EVERY ROOT OR IT WILL SIMPLY RETURN !!
After you are done return rock to tank and reduce white light intensity and even hours of white light and add the following cleaners which will help with control. These guys will consume bryopsis but not as fast as bryopsis can grow - They will never keep up.
Pin cushion urchin, Chiton snails, pitho crabs, and larger astrea snails

This procedure is not as bad or time consuming as it seems. Assure phosphate levels do not become elevated which helps feed this algae

harbor Freight:

dental picks.png

splunty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a sudden bryopsis outbreak fueled by my misguided attempt at scrubbing it out of a rock. Went from one small patch to entire tank. Treated with 10mg/gallon. It was all visibly white and dead in 5 days. FWIW I did not run gfo or carbon but I did normal weekly water change.

Nothing else was affected that I can tell.

This isn't advice, just relating experience.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had a sudden bryopsis outbreak fueled by my misguided attempt at scrubbing it out of a rock. Went from one small patch to entire tank. Treated with 10mg/gallon. It was all visibly white and dead in 5 days. FWIW I did not run gfo or carbon but I did normal weekly water change.

Nothing else was affected that I can tell.

This isn't advice, just relating experience.
Appreciated. And that’s what’s fueling my question. A couple years ago it was thought that 20mg per gallon was the number, but some were experimenting with 10 mg per gallon. So what’s the best practice after a couple years of data…

splunty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciated. And that’s what’s fueling my question. A couple years ago it was thought that 20mg per gallon was the number, but some were experimenting with 10 mg per gallon. So what’s the best practice after a couple years of data…

I suspect everyone you ask will give you different answers. Most of the seasoned experts will steer you away from any chemical additions at all. The instructions on my product (Flux RX) recommend 20mg/gallon. Before deciding how to dose myself, I ran across a YouTuber who dosed 50mg/gallon, and threads here where microdosing supposedly worked just as well. There's at least one member who dosed continually for years.

My own decision to use half the recommended dose was mostly because I didn't want to add (or remove and re-add) an excessive amount of water. The Fluconazole powder was barely (if at all) soluble. In the end I mixed 10mg with about 20oz of the existing tank water for ten minutes, then just poured it into the display across the back, waited a few seconds, then turned the pumps back on.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back