Fluval FX6 and new micro bubbles

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

My 6 month old Fluval FX6 started expelling micro bubbles from the outlet? Before I take the commonsense route and start pulling off and resetting the hoses, I figured I would see if anyone else has or had this issue and already knows what it is. Nothing has changed as far as placement and or hoses. I did clean the filter somewhere around 2 months ago but this just started last week.
It is resetting itself almost daily (where it shuts off then two minutes later comes back on as described in the manual) to release trapped air.
Nothing is wet at all under the tank so if there is an air leak it is too small to notice.
Thoughts? Or am I correct in just taking it apart and putting it back together.
May seem simple but this is still new to me and I will ask silly questions for a while I suppose. :)

Thank you!

Asm481

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What may be happening is the biological breakdown of detritus which creates gasses. Just like deep sand beds. Most people don't use canister filters because they need cleaning every couple weeks in a reef set up.

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx, that is the learning curve. I bought my setup from a LFS and all on the opinion of one person. Basically, this is how I am starting out and will upgrade as needed. Thankfully they didn't have everything I needed and some of the items are long term..
TBH though the tank is doing really well so far. I will take it over the alternative, while I learn more about the hobby I started PRIOR to reading and familiarizing myself with it .... LOL oh well right.. Keep on truckin (dating myself there for sure) Appreciate the reply!

MDReefguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find sometimes it'll push out micro bubbles when the filter pads or foam become saturated. Almost like it starts pulling in air because the pressure is too high. I've removed all but the coarse filter pad, and run only live rock rubble and matrix and the bottom ring of sponge material and my micro bubbles have stopped.

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

My 6 month old Fluval FX6 started expelling micro bubbles from the outlet? Before I take the commonsense route and start pulling off and resetting the hoses, I figured I would see if anyone else has or had this issue and already knows what it is. Nothing has changed as far as placement and or hoses. I did clean the filter somewhere around 2 months ago but this just started last week.
It is resetting itself almost daily (where it shuts off then two minutes later comes back on as described in the manual) to release trapped air.
Nothing is wet at all under the tank so if there is an air leak it is too small to notice.
May seem simple but this is still new to me and I will ask silly questions for a while I suppose. :)

Thank you!
As far as resets....it supposed to do that every 24 hours....
Did you add a skimmer lately?....anyway, yes I would clean and make sure that the screws for the top are hand tight AND the four screws on motor mount at bottom are hand tight AND the water outlet isn't leaking

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thx, that is the learning curve. I bought my setup from a LFS and all on the opinion of one person. Basically, this is how I am starting out and will upgrade as needed. Thankfully they didn't have everything I needed and some of the items are long term..
TBH though the tank is doing really well so far. I will take it over the alternative, while I learn more about the hobby I started PRIOR to reading and familiarizing myself with it .... LOL oh well right.. Keep on truckin (dating myself there for sure) Appreciate the reply!
There is nothing wrong with running canisters........just make sure you do correct husbandry.

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my tank, running 3 FX6's with LR rubble.....clean out motor and one sponge at bottom pump inlet every 6 months.
IMG_1980small.jpg

OP
OP
JK75gal

JK75gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as resets....it supposed to do that every 24 hours....
Did you add a skimmer lately?....anyway, yes I would clean and make sure that the screws for the top are hand tight AND the four screws on motor mount at bottom are hand tight AND the water outlet isn't leaking
No, I haven't made any changes at all. Just trying to stay on top of everything as best I can.. yup, checked and tightened as described in the manual.. of course if I figure it out I will post what I find.

Thank you for the advice!

JunkDrawer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Folks,

Thank you!
I have 2 FX6s on my 150 gallon reef tank. They are amazing. You do not need to clean them every week or every two weeks. I clean my sponges every 4-6 weeks. I replace the songes and my Seachem Matix every year. This notion that they are high maintenance comes from people who don't understand them. Your impeller will need to be cleaned every 6 months and replaced every 2 years, the o-rings/seals will also need to be replaced every 2 years as well. There is kit for $50-$60 on Amazon for this. If you add some backpressue with lets say the addition of UV Filter, you won't see micro-bubles at all for the 6 months. Fluval now makes a UV add-on for the FX6, it sits in the clip thing, on the cap, that seamingly doesn't have place. If you don't have this, then close the output a bit, I have mine closed to the first line from full open on the FX6 that doesn't have the UV attachment, you can adjust to your liking. To clean the impeller, you can youtube how to. It's simple, empty the bucket, remove the screws for the motor, pull the impeller out, get a straw cleaner and brush and clean out the impeller and receptical for the impleller, replace everything the way you found it. Put the basket back in, fill it up with the new saltwater, or the water you dumped. That's it. This impeller maintenance similarly should also be completed on sump systems pump, the skimmer and reactor pumps. It's not a big deal. A canister is sump that has a sealed top, it's not a mistery.

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
" Your impeller will need to be cleaned every 6 months and replaced every 2 years, the o-rings/seals will also need to be replaced every 2 years as well."...I would disagree. Only needs replacement if leaking or loss of output on impeller side. My 3 FX6's have been going for 4 years straight now.
ALSO, regarding microbubbles, the FX's do not like to be anywhere near a skimmer outout. I have the same issue and now just live with it. Unable to find any easy fix......

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to never clean my canister and using one has nothing to do with reef or not reef. It's a filter like any other filter where it's main goal is trapping and decomposing detritus as well as solving inorganic and running chemical media.

I'd call Fluval if after tightening down the hatches sort of speak still produces bubbles. It's apparently not purging air trapped inside and I'm assuming inlet below the water avoiding air introduction. Oddly, Eheim I used had no such purging feature and it never produced air bubbles. Back then you moved the canister around to purge air :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, my dream tank will likely run FX6s in a closed loop system :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
non-skimmer related FX microbubbles are usually due to the intake rubber connection not being a couple inches below the water level, sags in the hoses or clogged media.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 71 26.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 115 43.6%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 64 24.2%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 14 5.3%
Back