Found clam in tank - Help needed

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was rearranging my tank today, and I found a clam that has a bunch of mushroom corals growing on it.
I had no idea that it was there, and I don't know what to do now.

The clam has corals growing on it, and it's been lying on it's side in the tank for months.
It still has some mantle extension, and responded to light changes when I shone a torch at it.

The mantle is almost see through, but still has some patterning on it.

I'm including pics, but I don't think you can see the clam very clearly.

Is there any chance that it will make it, and if so what should I do to ensure it does?

Thanks

IMG20240512190219.jpg IMG20240512190211.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a Tridacna clam? If it is you just need to turn him so he is exposed to light and increase the light. He likely needs more light then the Mushrooms so you need to consider remove the mushrooms to another piece of rock.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a Tridacna clam? If it is you just need to turn him so he is exposed to light and increase the light. He likely needs more light then the Mushrooms so you need to consider remove the mushrooms to another piece of rock.
Thanks for the advice and reply.
I have no idea what type of clam it is. It doesn't look like it has the ridges on the sides, so if that helps with ID at all?

Do you have any advice on how to move the mushrooms? They're growing on the shell of the clam, and I don't know how to remove them without damaging them or the clam.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just cut the mushrooms off with a razor blade and then attach them to some rubble with a rubber band.

If you want to save the clam it needs some light on its mantle. I'm guessing you must have medium level Nitrate and Phosphate as that would have been keeping the clam alive.
Don't increase the light too rapidly.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can just cut the mushrooms off with a razor blade and then attach them to some rubble with a rubber band.

If you want to save the clam it needs some light on its mantle. I'm guessing you must have medium level Nitrate and Phosphate as that would have been keeping the clam alive.
Don't increase the light too rapidly.
Awesome, thanks.
I have pretty weak lights, two Kessil tuna blue A80, so I'm surprised it's lasted this long.
It was also in full shade.

Is just slicing the mushrooms off going to be enough?
When I do that, more mushrooms grow from the part that was left behind.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just move it right under one of your lights or as close to the lights as possible. I see a faint outline of the mantle, which looks like a T. maxima. If you want to remove the mushrooms, just use a stiff brush and brush them off out of the water.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks.
I have pretty weak lights, two Kessil tuna blue A80, so I'm surprised it's lasted this long.
It was also in full shade.

Is just slicing the mushrooms off going to be enough?
When I do that, more mushrooms grow from the part that was left behind.
Slicing the mushrooms off the clam will allow you to save them, you should remove anything left attached to the clam with a toothbrush or similar as they will probably grow back.

Any bits left floating around the tank may take hold and grow back too which may be a plus or a minus depending on your point of view :cool: . They're pretty robust.

Most important is to give the clam some light.

OP
OP
LeonardTheWrasse

LeonardTheWrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I removed all the corals that were on here and got stung by a bristle worm in the process haha.
Most of the mushrooms just popped off, hardly any force required.
The clam seems to be opening up a bit now, and I really hope it makes it.
Any advice on care or anything else is appreciated.
1715592020037.png

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back