Foxface- Is this Ich?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In established tank setting, I have learned not to jump quickly but try and “read” the situation firstly especially if the fish is not displaying any other symptom and eats as norm.

I have a Blue Tang that has a few dots on a regular basis for about 3 weeks every year or so when no fish have been introduced.

In the last three events, a few dots came, then a few more, then less each day or so and then gone.

No way to get him out without damaging the corals and destabilizing my system. It’s a risk I just have to live with.

He now 7 years old. No other tang or fish ever showed any dots, or got sick and died.

Does that mean it works for everyone, no, but as long as it’s not velvet, I have time to study the event.

If it were practical to get him out, maybe I treat.

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is a bit too blue, but it does look like ich. The best way to confirm that is to "map" some of the spots and check their presence/location over a few days. If the spots change in number (either increase or decrease) and change location, it is probably ich.
Two of the little 'ich dots' were actually moving as the Foxface swam.. They were in the process of detaching or something and seemed to be hanging on by a thread. Is that how Ich works? It grabs on and then can literally 'fall off' right in front of your eyes?

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In established tank setting, I have learned not to jump quickly but try and “read” the situation firstly especially if the fish is not displaying any other symptom and eats as norm.

I have a Blue Tang that has a few dots on a regular basis for about 3 weeks every year or so when no fish have been introduced.

In the last three events, a few dots came, then a few more, then less each day or so and then gone.

No way to get him out without damaging the corals and destabilizing my system. It’s a risk I just have to live with.

He now 7 years old. No other tang or fish ever showed any dots, or got sick and died.

Does that mean it works for everyone, no, but as long as it’s not velvet, I have time to study the event.

If it were practical to get him out, maybe I treat.
Yeah, It's really hard to know which route to go. Thanks for this different perspective.

I am also constrained by certain variables, I don't have a quarantine tank, and I have a well established mix reef tank that I would very much like to not tear apart and risk killing other fish due to stress. Plus I think the Ich has actually been in the tank for 6+ months with no 'major' problems yet.

Does it make any sense to get this Fox Face out of the system and bring him to my LFS for quarantine? Or is the amount of Ich on him minimal compared to the amount of Ich in the whole system, and it won't make any difference whether he stays or goes - Ich is established in the tank regardless.

Right now I'm thinking about treating with Ich-X, increasing feeding and water temperature, and installing a protozoan disrupting UV system.

If I install a UV system and treat at 90,000 - 280,000 columns, does that kill all the phytoplankton and microfauna in my system as well and cause another problem to solve?

Does anyone have any specific UV recommendations for my 160 gallon Red Sea? Can I just use my Cor 20 and plumb the return though the UV system and into the tank, or do I need to buy a second pump.. I know this is a wholllleee other discussion.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think ick x is useless.

Certainly it makes sense to separate him as a few people are stating that’s ick.

Treatment, and the ability to do that is only something you can chose.

I have chosen a riskier treatment, which can lead to the death of all my fish. That would be sad.

But I’m not tearing down my tank, each and every time I have some dots.

I’m hoping that if he/or they survive, they were strong enough to fight it on their own. That means more to me.

I have the means to treat anything, I just don’t, or better said, at least not needed yet.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyplab Medic has worked for me, as long as it’s a mild case of ich. It doesn’t eradicate it but makes it go away, at least for a while.

I have ich in my tank and 99% of the time I see no fish with it (touch wood).

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Doesn't copper interfere with most/all ammonia tests. The only one I believe to work is the seneye reef monitor.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two of the little 'ich dots' were actually moving as the Foxface swam.. They were in the process of detaching or something and seemed to be hanging on by a thread. Is that how Ich works? It grabs on and then can literally 'fall off' right in front of your eyes?
No - they typically drop off unnoticed. Fish have a lot of mucus on their skin, it sometimes traps dust and sand, maybe you saw that dropping off?

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No - they typically drop off unnoticed. Fish have a lot of mucus on their skin, it sometimes traps dust and sand, maybe you saw that dropping off?
Maybe Jay.

At 14 seconds, just above her black spot in the back, you can see two little dots that were identical to the 'ich spots' that I showed in the first video.. But here they're kinds of 'waving' in the water...

Who knows.

OP
OP
E

EvolvedMonkey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe Jay.

At 14 seconds, just above her black spot in the back, you can see two little dots that were identical to the 'ich spots' that I showed in the first video.. But here they're kinds of 'waving' in the water...

Who knows.

Yes, I know that Goniopora is nearly dead :downcast-face-with-sweat:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back