Gem Tang quarantine question pest ID

NarcoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2179.jpeg
Hey guys,

I’ve had this gem in copper QT for about two weeks. He’s eating great and has put on noticeable mass since. It is active all day and is even territorial when I linger in front of the tank.

This is my first Gem so not sure if the spots on him are just natural coloration or if it could potentially be flukes or something else. Can I please get your thoughts on the slow mo video I uploaded? Thanks guys!

QT Set up- 20 gal long
35ppt
2.3 copper power
78 temp
sponge filter w/ air stone
IMG_2178.jpeg

Last edited:

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please post the video to YouTube and supply the link? Having issue with the video.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys,

I’ve had this gem in copper QT for about two weeks. He’s eating great and has put on noticeable mass since. It is active all day and is even territorial when I linger in front of the tank.

This is my first Gem so not sure if the spots on him are just natural coloration or if it could potentially be flukes or something else. Can I please get your thoughts on the slow mo video I uploaded? Thanks guys!

QT Set up- 20 gal long
35ppt
2.3 copper power
78 temp
Always a tough fish to detect disease on but from pic- I see stress spots which can be from intimidation from tank mate, water quality issue or just scared
Lower white intensity to keep it relaxed and see if spots subside

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2179.jpeg
Hey guys,

QT Set up- 20 gal long
35ppt
2.3 copper power
78 temp
IMG_2178.jpeg

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is the tang alone in the QT?
What is the ammonia level of the tank?
How long have the spots been present?

This could be a skin reaction to flukes. At some point, you'll want to treat for that. I try not to dose copper and fluke medications at the same time though. Flukes take longer to harm the fish than do protozoan diseases, so it is best to continue the copper and deal with it later as long as the fish isn't showing other symptoms (not eating, breathing fast, incessant scratching or cloudy eyes).

OP
OP
N

NarcoReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always a tough fish to detect disease on but from pic- I see stress spots which can be from intimidation from tank mate, water quality issue or just scared
Lower white intensity to keep it relaxed and see if spots subside

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Is the tang alone in the QT?
What is the ammonia level of the tank?
How long have the spots been present?

This could be a skin reaction to flukes. At some point, you'll want to treat for that. I try not to dose copper and fluke medications at the same time though. Flukes take longer to harm the fish than do protozoan diseases, so it is best to continue the copper and deal with it later as long as the fish isn't showing other symptoms (not eating, breathing fast, incessant scratching or cloudy eyes).
Thanks for the warm welcome and quick response!

He is in QT alone.
Ammonia is <0.02 ppm
Spots come and go but I would say about a week max.
I did a fresh water dip but freaked out cause he started playing dead. Only lasted about a minute. (I later read they tend to do this)

I plan on treating with Prazipro in about a week.
Would you recommend otherwise?

I’ve noticed that when bright whites come on he turns pale white/brownish color. I did lower the lights significantly to blues and he definitely seems more relaxed.

here’s a better picture taken just now
IMG_2192.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

He is in QT alone.
Ammonia is <0.02 ppm
I did a fresh water dip but freaked out cause he started playing dead. Only lasted about a minute. (I later read they tend to do this)

I’ve noticed that when bright whites come on he turns pale white/brownish color. I did lower the lights significantly to blues and he definitely seems more relaxed.

IMG_2192.jpeg
The picture you just showed look like stress coloration. The other ones look different (i.e. like possible flukes) - as long as it looks healthy , I would proceed with quarantine protocol (you are using copper now, the next step is prazipro which will help if there are flukes. BTW - when I say 'stress' - it can be something as simple as the lights coming on in the morning. Do they go away in the daytime? moving 'small' spots the reappear could be ich - but you're treating for that. The larger white areas do not look like ich.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

He is in QT alone.
Ammonia is <0.02 ppm

IMG_2192.jpeg
Yes on prazi. Apply initial dose at 85% of recommended and allow to remain 8 days, do a water change and apply one more dose for 8 days
It’s important to run an airstone during treatment as prazi reduces oxygen

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He is in QT alone.
Ammonia is <0.02 ppm

IMG_2192.jpeg
The larger white spots, with the lower ones in a row and the upper row slightly angled is the stress/night coloration that this species shows. The first picture seemed to show sort of raised pinhead spots, those are something else.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back