GFO brought phosphates down to

GarciaCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I recently started my GFO reactor cause phosphates were at 0.50. I have mostly sps corals. In one day it brought my phosphates down to 0.18. Should I turn it off?

wtdenk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would if I was you. My goal would be to slowly drop the #. Assuming it took a long time to build to .5, I'd be scared of sudden change resulting in an unintended consequence (coral death, cyano, etc)

OP
OP
G

GarciaCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes and I am scared. I also started dosing all for reef last week and doesn't that have carbon dosing? Could that have also caused the phosphates to come down that fast or is it mainly the gfo?

OP
OP
G

GarciaCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s the gfo
ok. When would you guys turn the gfo reactor back on. Once phosphates are over 0.30? My tank has been used to phosphates being around 0.30-0.50. The reason I decided on starting gfo again was because a couple of my sps frags were pale and brown. Can high phosphates cause this?

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok. When would you guys turn the gfo reactor back on. Once phosphates are over 0.30? My tank has been used to phosphates being around 0.30-0.50. The reason I decided on starting gfo again was because a couple of my sps frags were pale and brown. Can high phosphates cause this?
Yes high phosphates can cause browning

I would run the gfo reactor on a timer for 12 hours a day to track if phosphates are stable, or trending up/down and adjust the timer based on test results

OP
OP
G

GarciaCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes high phosphates can cause browning

I would run the gfo reactor on a timer for 12 hours a day to track if phosphates are stable, or trending up/down and adjust the timer based on test results
ok. I have a neptune apex so I will set a timer for the reactor.
So if I test tomorrow and phosphates are at the same number, I would leave the reactor off right?
Unless it reads higher than 0.18 thats when I would turn it back on for 12 hours and test the next day.
Am I Correct?

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think it would be helpful to understand a few things about your tank:

1) tank size and approximate water volume
2) how many fish do you have?
3) how long did it take for the GFO to get your levels down to 0.18 from 0.5?

Stability is key and fast drops are a bad idea but if all of a sudden you have phosphates at 0.18 and then back up to 0.4 and then down and then up your coral will not be happy either. That will lead to polyp bailout in some LPS.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh. I’d leave the GFO running 24/7. It’s likely the PO4 will desorb from the rocks anyway, causing the PO4 to rise despite the GFO.

PO4 from 0.5 to 0.2 is still not limiting. I don’t foresee coral issues. You can leave the reactor running 24/7 but adjust how much GFO you add.

I wouldn’t put the GFO on a timer because the GFO might harden from lack of flow. I also wouldn’t want to low ORP water being added back into the tank after restarting the reactor.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran GFO off and on for years.
After trial and error, slowly and patiently you will realize how much you need to keep your phos level where you want it.
It will exhaust itself.
You will need to renew it.
Even a constant tumble and it can harden up and become useless.
I wouldn't start it and stop it for long periods.
Running it with GAC can prevent that, mostly but even then I would run it 24/7.
But...
You gotta test. Always.
Then you know how much to use.
I've gone a different direction now but I'm always here for questions.
We all are.

OP
OP
G

GarciaCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be helpful to understand a few things about your tank:

1) tank size and approximate water volume
2) how many fish do you have?
3) how long did it take for the GFO to get your levels down to 0.18 from 0.5?

Stability is key and fast drops are a bad idea but if all of a sudden you have phosphates at 0.18 and then back up to 0.4 and then down and then up your coral will not be happy either. That will lead to polyp bailout in some LPS.
hi so my tank is 53gal mostly sps dominant with an elegance coral and a Goni.
I have 2 clownfish 1cleaner goby,1 mandarin goby and scooter blenny
It took one day to bring my phosphates down to 0.18. I tested today and they are stable and have not increased

OP
OP
G

GarciaCO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh. I’d leave the GFO running 24/7. It’s likely the PO4 will desorb from the rocks anyway, causing the PO4 to rise despite the GFO.

PO4 from 0.5 to 0.2 is still not limiting. I don’t foresee coral issues. You can leave the reactor running 24/7 but adjust how much GFO you add.

I wouldn’t put the GFO on a timer because the GFO might harden from lack of flow. I also wouldn’t want to low ORP water being added back into the tank after restarting the reactor.
true. I am definitely going to add less gfo next time I replace it. I believe I added 3 tbsp. Bulk reef recommended 6tbsp but I think thats too much and I am using there high capacity gfo.

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 40 35.7%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back